Noooooooob College Student Wants to Torrent

koftaki13

Hey, I just started my freshman year in college and moved into my dorm.  Although it may not seem like a big deal to many, I was extatic to discover that I can get a connection up to about 2. 7 Mb/s which is a big upgrade from my home connection, that peaked at about 300 kb/s.  I want to make the most out of this new speed but upon moving into the dorm, I was threatened by my R. A. s that it was possible that if I was using to much bandwidth, the school had the right to cut me off.  I also had to register my MAC address under my name with the school before I was able to get on the network.  They may be empty threats but I would rather play it on the safe side.  I have been restricting myself with the torrenting and such, but I would like to start taking full advantage of the connection.  So here's my question, Is there anyway for me to gain access to the network without having to register my MAC address to my name with the school?  I know how to change my MAC to match someone else's on the network so I am working under their name, but I would rather not be a douche and potentially get someone else into trouble.  I am working under a dual boot: Win Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 7.04. Thanks for any help.

Hey, I just started my freshman year in college and moved into my dorm.   Although it may not seem like a big deal to many, I was extatic to discover that I can get a connection up to about 2. 7 Mb/s which is a big upgrade from my home connection, that peaked at about 300 kb/s.   I want to make the most out of this new speed but upon moving into the dorm, I was threatened by my R. A. s that it was possible that if I was using to much bandwidth, the school had the right to cut me off.   I also had to register my MAC address under my name with the school before I was able to get on the network.   They may be empty threats but I would rather play it on the safe side.   I have been restricting myself with the torrenting and such, but I would like to start taking full advantage of the connection.   So here's my question, Is there anyway for me to gain access to the network without having to register my MAC address to my name with the school?  I know how to change my MAC to match someone else's on the network so I am working under their name, but I would rather not be a douche and potentially get someone else into trouble.   I am working under a dual boot: Win Vista Home Premium and Ubuntu 7.04. Thanks for any help.

I commend you on not being a douche but if they are filtering mac and tracking by macs the only way you're going to be able to do it is to steal some poor guy's mac and screw them over...

I still say you should do it but it's up to you.

I keep wondering if it would be possible to create a bit torrent relay, something like a client/server that downloads like a normal bt client remotely but allows you to connect to it on say port 80 and get a constant data-stream from that.

I keep wondering if it would be possible to create a bit torrent relay, something like a client/server that downloads like a normal bt client remotely but allows you to connect to it on say port 80 and get a constant data-stream from that.

really interesting idea, but the issue i see wif it would be, that Torrents come in "bits" so what would be coming down the tubes, would need to be the packets download of the client, and not the re-assembled file on the server, though, wif Linux, its easy enough to make a script that just forwards the individual downloaded files (such as multiple rar files) as soon as they have been completed. This is what im currently using for my Download server, to move files to my File Server.

What are us suggesting? Having a machine on a remote network, say my house, do all the downloading and then directly transfer the files between my machine at the dorm and the machine at home?

What are us suggesting? Having a machine on a remote network, say my house, do all the downloading and then directly transfer the files between my machine at the dorm and the machine at home?

That would work perfectly, if you use FTP or scp it is perfectly legit traffic from the IT depts point of view. But make sure you get some kinda SLA with your parents (for manual reboots etc) and setup your router and server to use wake on lan (to save power).

My idea however was that you would run a client on a machine with a faster internet connection (particularly one with a good upload, like a SDSL line or datacenter type connection). This does the actual peer-to-peer stuff, connecting to multiple clients etc, to download the data. It would then upload this back to you using the bit torrent protocol but at a steady speed. Since the biggest problems with torrents is the latency overhead this would allow faster speeds without killing your internet connection. Make it scale well and you could max out your 20mb cable line.

The huge flaw in this idea is that running a bt client on a server and using ftp would just be easier, but it is kinda web 2.0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torrentflux