Internet problems

Moo

Hey, I've been having this funny problem recently with my internet.

It randomly peters out, just going dead for 2-5 minutes.  I have a bandwidth meter, and it is recording really low (.0.-.3 kbps) readings down and up (though that might just be whats going through my connection.  Anyways, I can't reach the internet at all, no IM, downloads, web sites etc.

The thing is, it is ONLY happening on my desktop.  All my other computers (which have wireless) can go on the internet, reach the router, etc but the desktop can't.

I have no idea why it's happening and it's REALLY annoying.  Any help would be great.

IDK, I don't have ubuntu :-P (I know... I know... easy to get and so such)

It used to be that a restart would fix it because it only happened after my uptime was >2 days, but it happened after like 10 minutes.  I've left a ping google.com -t on and it hasn't happened since, but since its totally random if it will happen I don't know how useful ubuntu would be for diagnosing it.

Did you try re-installing the drivers for your NIC?

No, good idea.  However, how do I go about doing this  :oops:?  My mobo is a Gigabyte GA-K8n pro sli...

Go to the Gigabyte web site and down load the latest NIC drivers for you MOBOARD and then find the device in Device Manager and upgrade the driver. Though the driver fole may be in a .EXE file in that case just run the .EXE file.

Also Check Layer 1 stuff like use a new network cable between your PC and Rooter/Modem also tray a nother LAN port on this device if it has one.

Possibly any rouge programs running in the background? Spyware, virii, etc.