Using Bittorrent/P2P on University network?

KoR_Wraith

I recently moved out to university but would still like to access all the stuff available on Bittorrent. I've not had any luck so far and I'm not even sure if it's possible so I thought I'd post here to see if anyone can help.

All internet traffic runs through a proxy on the university network. Internet browsers are configured as follows:

Select Automatically Detect Settings (of LAN),

and use configuration script: http://www-config.strath.ac.uk/proxy.config  (this contains IP addresses and what not, can be opened in notepad).

However, I have no idea how to make utorrent/whatever work. I've tried a variety of settings but haven't had any luck yet (I don't even know what type of proxy it is - socks 4, 5, http, etc).

That's about it really, any help anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

the ports are gonna be closed, as well as packet shaping / filtering should be inplace. You will need to encrypt the packets (Bitcomet comes wif this as an option) and find an open port on the network leading out (hard task to do).

Yeah, like Deveant said, its going to be filtered. You won't be able to use a forwarded port so it will be slow as hell if it does work. At my university the only ports you can talk to on external machines on are 21, 22, 23, 25, 110, 143, 443, 993, 995, 80, 8000, 8008 and 8080, so you would only be able to connect to other clients or trackers using those ports, which ain't going to be many.

Check with your halls IT staff about the repocussions if your caught though. If I find someone running a peer to peer client on a students computer I can technically terminate there rooms internet connection and charge them for the privillage. So if you play the game, don't get pissed if you lose.

A better option would be  a box you have access to on the outside of university firewall. Cost might be an issue, but if you get a bunch of people together it shouldn't be so much. Even a spare PC setup with rdp/vnc, wake on lan and a large HD left back home would work nicely in this situation.

• 2 weeks later...

why bother when you have the uTorrent and azures WebGui

and then just set up a ftp

and if you wanted to you could gettho rig an IP controlled switch that could be triggered by a ping if you ever needed to reboot the server because the only thing you would need to worry about would be the server crashing/bsoding because routers are usualy stable as