Remote Webcam

G-Stress

Does anyone know of an app or method to remotely turn on webcam's? Virus/Trojan free. Without the use of tools such ass vnc? I'm looking for something more of a service that runs in the background where say I have 5 machines all with web cams and I want to remotely connect to, or view the the webcams and see what's goin on?

Does anyone know of an app or method to remotely turn on webcam's? Virus/Trojan free. Without the use of tools such ass vnc? I'm looking for something more of a service that runs in the background where say I have 5 machines all with web cams and I want to remotely connect to, or view the the webcams and see what's goin on?

What is wrong with them being on all the time and just viewing them remotely?

hmmm... okay ? is how would I view them remotely? I'm setting up kinda a home surveillance system. 5 machines all with webcams and am trying to just check each cam to see what's goin on. I didn't know if there was an app or something out there that would work with just webcams. I'm trying to avoid buying a wireless security system.

hmmm... okay ? is how would I view them remotely? I'm setting up kinda a home surveillance system. 5 machines all with webcams and am trying to just check each cam to see what's goin on. I didn't know if there was an app or something out there that would work with just webcams. I'm trying to avoid buying a wireless security system.

If you have the money you should get some wireless g security cams, I heard those work well.

If you have the money you should get some wireless g security cams, I heard those work well.

Yeah, but then anyone can scan them and watch to see if anyone is home if they want to rob you.

I would maybe do the whole usb over ethernet and run them back to a usb hub and then use some webcam software to place each one on a different port. Log on through the web interface with maybe a password protected directory and you should be all set.

@ Computer_kid

Interesting, this may just work. I imagine it would be typically the same setup for windows based OS?

@ digip

Very nice idea as well, I will hopefully have some time this weekend to dig into it and I will figure something out hopefully.

Thanks guys.

Yeah, but then anyone can scan them and watch to see if anyone is home if they want to rob you.

I would maybe do the whole usb over ethernet and run them back to a usb hub and then use some webcam software to place each one on a different port. Log on through the web interface with maybe a password protected directory and you should be all set.

How right you are.

Now that I think about it, I remember I thought it was talked about here before where someone had embedded a webcam in a web server and set the code to refresh like every 5 seconds... ? anyone remember that? I can't seem to find it here and it might just work perfectly.

Your webcam should have some with some software to stream it live over the web, but if not there are plenty of 3rd party apps that can do this and allow you to choose the port number they run off of. You just need to open the ports on your router and firewall. Having a service like DynDNS will also make sure you can allways connect to them(unless you have a static address that never changes, you should be ok just plugging the ip address and port in the web browsers of your choice.)

There are also programs that can connect to camras directly by plugging in the ip address and port. These programs allow you to record the video stream as mpegs(usually with no audio) from a remote location. I have one I use to look at Panasonic web cams, but it also works for a few others that use the same hardware and webcam server.

EDIT: Here, I have uploaded the NCR Camera Viewing software for you See if you can use it to conenct to your web cam. Its in a 7zIP format:

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/NcrSingleCamera.7z

Just run the setup.exe file once you extract the folder.

EDIT: Forgot to add, you can search panasonic webcams on google using the following (Change the port number to see alternate cam searches). After you find a link, plug the ip address and port number into the NCR camera program and you can control the cameras pan, title, zoom, etc, and also record the footage: inurl:"81/ViewerFrame?Mode="

@ digip

Thanks alot:) This should work perfectly for what I'm looking for. However I was unable to get the NCR software to connect to my camera, I have a Logitech 1.3 megapixel notebook cam... forget the model. Unless I done something wrong. I set it up as a broadcast a live event with windows media encoder then to pull from the encoder, then it gave me the syntax http://computername:port I tried connecting that way via the NCR software and it didn't work. I also tried with VLC, by File -> Open Network Stream -> then I entered in the same syntax in the Customize field as well as the HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS field I tried both and neither worked.

@ digip

Thanks alot:) This should work perfectly for what I'm looking for. However I was unable to get the NCR software to connect to my camera, I have a Logitech 1.3 megapixel notebook cam... forget the model. Unless I done something wrong. I set it up as a broadcast a live event with windows media encoder then to pull from the encoder, then it gave me the syntax http://computername:port I tried connecting that way via the NCR software and it didn't work. I also tried with VLC, by File -> Open Network Stream -> then I entered in the same syntax in the Customize field as well as the HTTP/HTTPS/FTP/MMS field I tried both and neither worked.

That was an example of some software I use to look at Panasonic Cameras(and some others that use the same format). The NCR program may not work for every camera, but have you tried just typing the address in your browser and see if you get a still image, or some sort of streaming video? The camera should have came with some software to act as a server to send the feed of images(and audio if it has that capability).

Try the google search for cams and plug the ip address and port number into the ncr program and see if you can view them. Not all the cameras found will be online, so check a few and then see if you still can't get a conenction. It may be your blocking something with your pc settings? Not sure, but give it a shot.

@ digip,

Yea I was able to look at a few cams, I didn't try with the NCR sofware I need to try that, but I entered in: 81/ViewerFrame?Mode= in the address bar and 1 or 2 cam up I checked out one for a minute. It was pretty cool.

I had a dumb moment I forgot all about software comming with my cam the only problem is the only way my software will broadcast is by creating an account with Spotlife.

I did try entering in the address in my web browser lookin for an image but got nothing however I'm trying this out: http://www.robertwisbey.com/how_to_web_cam_wme.html

to see if I can get it working that way. That should suit my needs:) I wish I could find something that ran as a service in the background to work this way, but embedding it in a webserver will work just as good for me.

Thanks again.

There are third party apps that will act as a server for the web cam. There used to be a free one for Win98 called WebCam32 but is no longer available, and I don;t think it ran on XP(Due to NTFS). It worked really well, and even had an option to ftp images at time intervals to a website.

Keep Googleing, you will find somehting. Try SourceForge too, there might be some open source web cam stuff for Windows(and Linux for that matter).