DIY dual format HD video disc player?

moonlit

I was thinking, you can buy a PS3 as a BluRay player, or an XBOX360 with HDDVD player to play your high definition content... but why not merge the two?

The HDDVD drive is a standard USB external drive and works on a PC with no modifications, and the PS3 has USB ports... so what would happen if you ran Linux on the PS3 with the 360's HDDVD drive attached? Could you play both formats?

Seems like a great way to play both formats if you already have a PS3 and it's fairly cheap too if you do.

What would happen if you ran Linux on the PS3 with the 360's HDDVD drive attached? Could you play both formats?

I'd say, theoretically, yes. I don't see any fault in your logic.

As for the 360's drive working under Linux... Donno. If it's just a USB drive it should. They might have messed up the interface a bit to make it... interesting, but stuff like that doesn't tend to last very long (since they're planning to support connecting it to Windows Vista).

I just did a quick google on the XBox's HD-DVD drive and found an article in which Microsoft was commended for working to support using the drive as an external drive in Windows. Hence the comment.