linux?

shadow1100mfp

just a quick question about linux:

cleaning out my basement the other day, i found my first computer, EVER.(well, 3rd, but this is the first one i kept)  it's the top end model pacard bell(sp?), with an unbelievable 8mb of memory, vast 35mb hard drive, and the huge 14 inch screen lol.

that thing served me 7 years of doom (original), but now its just sitting there.

would this computer be acceptable to put linux on? and what distro. of it would be best? (perhaps dsl?). i've never used linux before, so i wanted to get started with it on something that i didnt use anymore and i obviously dont use this computer anymore lol. if not, i like the style of the case (it's a media center case, not a tower, and media center styles are pretty expensive cases), so would the locations be uniform to todays standards? (like, would i be able to put new guts in it and just use the case) or would i have to make new holes and everything.

If it's i386 or later, then yeah, you can without any problems (well, maybe you need to be a little on your toes since for instance Gentoo's tarballs tend to be for i586 or newer). If it's a 286 or earlier, you might want to take a look at ELKS. It's not a particularly active project, but it's the only pre-i386 Linux that I know about. My guess is the alternative would be found in NetBSD.

what do you mean? like try putting it on an more recent machine before i put it on the old one?

What im trying to say is, sure you can install gnu/linux on it but it will be harder(not just installing) than installing it on a modern pc. So you should probably install gnu/linux on a modern pc, learn the basics then have a crack at your old machine.

what do you mean? like try putting it on an more recent machine before i put it on the old one?

What im trying to say is, sure you can install gnu/linux on it but it will be harder(not just installing) than installing it on a modern pc. So you should probably install gnu/linux on a modern pc, learn the basics then have a crack at your old machine.

thats what i thought lol

If it's i386 or later, then yeah, you can without any problems (well, maybe you need to be a little on your toes since for instance Gentoo's tarballs tend to be for i586 or newer). If it's a 286 or earlier, you might want to take a look at ELKS. It's not a particularly active project, but it's the only pre-i386 Linux that I know about. My guess is the alternative would be found in NetBSD.

ill take a look at those, and find out the info about that machine (like i said i havn't used it in like 8 years)