Open Source Shopping Cart/order Scripts

digip

First question. Anyone here ever run a web store or work with shopping cart software?

I have been asked to do a site for someone who wants to open a webstore to help boost sales for their real store. They sell health foods and herbs, vitamins, etc in a little strip mall of stores, but wanted to have the website in addition to their real store to exapand sales. I have been looking online for some open source shopping cart software to get me started, but most of it is either sign up and run through them(which they get a commission) or expensive packages that still require you to setup a credit card merchant account that costs additional money for the service.

They can already process cc's at their real store, so I was going the route of making the site add items people click to add to the cart and then total them up when done in some sort of table that they can then print out and mail in with a check or money order, or they could call their number and process the order after they submit it to the store, like have it print directly at the store with all their info like phone #, product #, their name, address,email, payment method, etc.

Second Question.

Anyone know of any low maintence php/sql scripts for doing such a thing? I need something affordable, preferably open source, and tight on security settings. They don't have much to work with and I am not really making anything off of it, so if they don't want to go through a third party who will take a commission, what would be my options?

I was looking at things like: http://www.shop-script.com/php-shopping-ca...-1-sysreqs.html but wasnt sure how reliable these are. What are your opinions on things liek this. Is it a good solution, or should I just keep googling until I find somehting that works for free?

http://www.x-cart.com/  and http://www.viart.com/PHP_Shopping_Cart look to be a bit pricy. I know there is probably a simple database script to do the same thing with PHP and MySQL for free. The hardest part will be the credit card orders through the site, which will probably have to be done over the phone for now, but the simple shopping list with subtotals to print and mail in would be easier.

Like I said, I have never done a shopping cart site before, and only done simple layouts and scripting, but this takes it to a new level for me, and I really want to do it because the better I learn this, the more chances I have of making some money at it down the road. I already have a few other jobs in the works, but they are easy bussiness sites that don't have any sales involved in their layouts.

edit: Actually may have found one that does what I need. It's simple and easily configured to do what I need. I am going to messa roudn with the interface and then find a script that emails th eorders to the store owners, or maybe see about getting that cc section setup, now that I have the other side if it worked out in my head. Anyone wanting to try something similar, check out: http://www.webforcecart.com/

Open source, free sample script that can be modified easily. I have no real skills in this area and I picked up on it fairly quickly what it is doing.

• 1 year later...

Hi digip I see you didn't have any replies about this but you found webforce. now I know this was a while back but I was wondering if you had any luck because I'm in a very similar situation to you now and I could do with some ideas. Might just download webforce and have a look but can you tell me if there any pitfalls or is it relatively straight-forward?? I have done a few PHP + MySQL sites now and I should be able to do a whole cart myself but it would take me ages and ages. so is webforce the one for me??

Hi digip I see you didn't have any replies about this but you found webforce. now I know this was a while back but I was wondering if you had any luck because I'm in a very similar situation to you now and I could do with some ideas. Might just download webforce and have a look but can you tell me if there any pitfalls or is it relatively straight-forward?? I have done a few PHP + MySQL sites now and I should be able to do a whole cart myself but it would take me ages and ages. so is webforce the one for me??

[edit]Oh crap I just realised. this webforce is Object-oriented so it's probly only for PHP5 and above. My server has only got PHP4... oh well I'll just have to look for another one[/edit]