(Possibly micro) home media server

omgsoemo

Last episode was pretty damn informative about this idea that I have had for a while, but I still have some questions.  I want to have a home media server, just for playing music and ripped/ backed up movies.  A micro tower would be nice, or at least something like it.  The Flex-ATX looked pretty damn sweet, but I know for sure I will not need that much power for just music and movies.

What is the cheapest/ smallest system I can buy or  build that will have enough just for music and media?  The ATX mobo that I checked out at Newegg was way faster than my own damn laptop, and I definitely do not need to pay for that much.

Thanks in advance!

If you have a spare 200GB+ HD laying around you're almost better off hacking an Apple TV.

It's extremely hard to build anything useful for under $300 without skimping heavily.

From looking on Newegg you're looking at roughly 230-240 for a 1GHz VIA setup with their cheapest case, that's before buying 1GB of ram, which is what most seem to support.

I was under the impression that if you want to display HD content the VIAs simply can't cope and you need to look for something that will take a decent video card.

http://www.liantec.com/Product/SBC/ITX-6900.htm

This puppy takes an Intel Pentium M CPU and has a proprietary expansion module into which you can plug laptop PCI-e graphics card modules. Only thing is that in order to cool this stuff you'll likely need a few fans on this puppy.

Better yet, try one of these:

http://www.acrosser.com/Product/Embedded%2...M_ar-b1892.html

It's got a PCI-e 16x slot on it. :)