New use for Scroll Lock?

W4RP3D

Hi,

I cant think of the last time I ever used Scroll Lock, infact I don't think Ive ever ever used it. So I thought I could put it to some use and if possible use it for a second type of shift key which could launch programs, that sounds really confusing and not clear at all so heres an example:

Scroll lock + N = notepad opening

Scroll lock + W = Winamp opens

Scroll lock + C = Cmd opens

etc

Ive goggled it and haven't found anything, apart from just remaping it to anougher key. I'm wondering if this is even possible, if you guys know of any programs to do this and how hard is it?

Thanks

W4rp3d

Scroll lock is a useful button, unless your on windows.

It's pretty awesome if you are stuck using any spreadsheet application for an extended period of time as well, even under windows.

There should be at least a couple apps that do this already (don't know any clean enough for my standards though), otherwise it's up to you to code your own app that adds a keyboard hook and listens for key presses. But that will most likely be in C/C++ at a fairly deep level.

Edit: forgot putting in a link

keyboard hook

The scroll lock should be a regular button that registers normally unless I'm mistaken.

There should be at least a couple apps that do this already (don't know any clean enough for my standards though), otherwise it's up to you to code your own app that adds a keyboard hook and listens for key presses. But that will most likely be in C/C++ at a fairly deep level.

Wouldn't a global hot key program do this?? Although if you wanted to code something yourself I remember creating a key logger in VB a while back (I'll see if I can find it) which was fairly simple

You want to make scroll lock a secondary "shift" key?

goto autohotkey.  com, and then download that. 

make a new text file, and in that file put

ScrollLockw::Run,c:/program files/winamp/winamp.  exe

ScrollLockn::Run,notepad.  exe

and so on and so forth, I am not fully positive if I typed that all correct, but I could figure out when I get home, but I know that autohotkey will let you push scroll lock + a key on the keyboard (notice I didn't say letter/number), and it will let you do a number of things, like open a program. 

edit: I forgot, you have to save the text file as whatever. ahk

You want to make scroll lock a secondary "shift" key?

goto autohotkey.  com, and then download that. 

make a new text file, and in that file put

ScrollLockw::Run,c:/program files/winamp/winamp.  exe

ScrollLockn::Run,notepad.  exe

and so on and so forth, I am not fully positive if I typed that all correct, but I could figure out when I get home, but I know that autohotkey will let you push scroll lock + a key on the keyboard (notice I didn't say letter/number), and it will let you do a number of things, like open a program. 

edit: I forgot, you have to save the text file as whatever. ahk

Thanks just what i was looking for... its quite low on hogging system resources to... 5mb of memory