Programming / hacking books that are fun to read

I will be going on a holiday without taking my laptop. I would like to take a book with me to improve my way of thinking on programming and/or hacking, but which doesn't require me trying out stuff on a computer every few pages.

In other words: I'm looking for a book that's fun to read, not one with dry logic and programming examples.

Any suggestions?

That would be difficult because most books like that are reference books.

They Will Say Something like "Enter "HAKBOX -c" into the command line. What does it say. Now Type "STEALPASSWD -c " After the -c enter the text the previous commands gave you"

You need to be at a computer to use most of them.

if you have the slightest interest in learning ruby, read "Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby" which is availible online for free, just google it.

peace.

I was interested in learning Ruby, I have read that book, and it's a great example of a book I'm looking for! Really funny and not a "do this exercise before continuing reading"-book.

But I'm looking for one of those old school books made of paper ;)

I am particularly interested in books focussing on changing your perspective -- way of thinking -- on programming. I need something for inbetween my "The Spectacular Rise and Fall of Commodore" and my zillionth re-read of "Hackers: Heroes of the Computer Revolution"!

Sockets, Shellcode, Porting, and Coding - Syngress

http://www.amazon.com/Sockets-Shellcode-Po...9303&sr=8-3

This book contains programming examples, but they're not required to understand what is going on. I've read this, and found it to be a nice reference book after you've read it.

Reversing: The Secrets of Reverse Engineering - Wiley

http://www.amazon.com/Reversing-Secrets-En...9348&sr=1-1

This is a good book on the theory behind reverse engineering.

Yeah, you could try reading Kevin Mitnick's first book, although when I tried to read it I didn't think it was that good and couldn't be bothered to finish it.

Haha, the "Art of deception"-book? Same story here. I kinda liked the examples, but this is something I'd never use myself and I just got bored with it halfway through the book.