SSH on Mac OS X

jefferson987

Hi everyone. I spent the last hour googleing for answers but I haven't found them. I'm on a mac and Im trying to access the home folder of another mac through terminal ssh on my home network. All I have found from my searching is how to connect to a site ie: ssh -l test test.org. Ok... I understand that, but obviously the computer I want to connect to dosnt have a .com or .org name. Just an IP address (Which i dont dare reveal here lol). Ive tried the following "ssh -l 141.xxx.xx.xx:80" but that didnt work. It's prob ridiculously wrong. Anyway, I would really appreaciate some help here. I'm only doing this as a learning experiance. If I can figure it out I would like to try and do it remotely if possible.

Hi everyone. I spent the last hour googleing for answers but I haven't found them. I'm on a mac and Im trying to access the home folder of another mac through terminal ssh on my home network. All I have found from my searching is how to connect to a site ie: ssh -l test test.org. Ok... I understand that, but obviously the computer I want to connect to doesn't have a .com or .org name. Just an IP address (Which i don't dare reveal here lol). Ive tried the following "ssh -l 141.xxx.xx.xx:80" but that didn't work. It's prob ridiculously wrong. Anyway, I would really appreciate some help here. I'm only doing this as a learning experience. If I can figure it out I would like to try and do it remotely if possible.

This is against my better judgment but...

This is how I connect to another computer on my home network: ssh pie@192.168.0.1 , pie is valid user name on the target computer, in this case your mac. So it's saying connect to ssh user pie 'at' 192.168.0.1. Note I havn't specified a port number here. Because it's a mac I suspect that it will default to port 22.

ps. post stuff like this in questions section dude 8)

Also Make sure SSH is Allowed in the Firewall configuration for the Target Mac. or it will be blocked, as I believe the default state is blocked.

I would set up an account with limited rights and privileges for SSH unless you plan to use it often and maybe use sshd instead.

wetelectric is correct in the syntext:

ssh user@ip:port

EXample: ssh hak5user@some_ip :22