new mother board and windows XP

awhatty

I decided to upgrade some old systems using old parts etc duel booting linux and windows on them the Linux is reinstalling at the moment as want to put Fedora on the BOX at the moment.

My question is or does any one know a way to use the windows image which is already registered corectly to alow the build to go on ??

i have a restore disk and a ghost boot disk got the image on the drive manual using the ghost disk and finding the ghost image on the local cdrom etc

but i know from before this may not work is there a way round this?

Not entirely sure what your after, but if you've trying to use an image which was created with different hardware, it probally won't work to well. Best off just to reinstall windows on the new hardware and create an image from that.

I recently had the motherboards die on 2 boxen I'm responsible for, both running XP. Replaced the MoBo on the one, and MoBo plus processor and memory on the other.

The one where I had to replace just the MoBo I had to completely reinstall WinXP. Got a blue screen on boot about some PCI driver, but after a reinstall everything went smoothly, plus since this was already a clean install it didn't really matter, just cost me some extra time.

The other machine was already in active use, so reinstalling there would've pissed some people off. Thankfully, even though I replaced most of the guts of the machine, WinXP simply booted and kept playing nice.

In other words, YMMV.

Possibly related, the one where I had to reinstall went from VIA chipset to Intel chipset. The one where I didn't need to reinstall kept the same brand (though not model) of chipset.

Possibly related, the one where I had to reinstall went from VIA chipset to Intel chipset. The one where I didn't need to reinstall kept the same brand (though not model) of chipset.

That would be exactly why it didn't work i'm guessing. Right from the start XP was talking to the chipset in the wrong language.

That would be exactly why it didn't work i'm guessing. Right from the start XP was talking to the chipset in the wrong language.

swedish?

• 10 months later...