Capture Handshakes

Briel

Never used Pineapple before so i decided to order one. After 4-5 hours playing with it I made zero progress. Tested beta and stable firmware, every possible setting and option. In my lab I setup several different WiFi APs and Routers, and simulated working networks... nothing... I never capture a single handshake, despite my best efforts to get at least one. It is true I don't have experience with pineapple, but I have plenty other devices and experience in the field. It should be easy, I mean even my raspberry captures handshakes a lot easier despite the fact it is not originally made for it.

Routers won't let you capture any handshakes, but I guess you refer to "home routers" that are combined with wireless features. You mention WiFi APs, but what clients have you tried? 2.4 GHz only or 5 GHz? 5 GHz isn't supported out of the box if you don't add a supported 5 GHz USB NIC to the Pineapple. In what way are you capturing handshakes? Do you use the "sit and wait method" or do you deauth?

Yes I use APs and Routers (with WiFi) specifically as dummy devices to test the pineapple. I use only 2.4GHz as pineapple only have that option. I deauth and use different devices to connect and disconnect from networks, try to simulate conditions of real world WiFI and test the pineapple. I mean I setup the whole thing to test pineapple. After hours and hours I was not able to catch a single handshake. On the other hand I can use my second machine with Kali Linux or my raspberry with WiFi shield to catch handshakes without any problem. With pineapple i have zero success. At this point i think it is very buggy, not supported unit that need a lot of work to be useful. After some reading i understand why many people recommend it... they just talk about older versions and as it seems they are far superior.

Well, I don't agree to some things you are saying. I can't see how older versions could be far superior. There are no logic arguments behind that. Saying that it is "very buggy" is to take it a bit too far as well. Of course, bugs will always be present, like for any other product/object, but not "very buggy". I haven't experienced the same issues capturing handshakes, far from "zero success". Not sure what your issue might be. I guess you have to explain your method more in detail to be able to spot if there's something in the workflow that might be missing.

• 11 months later...

Hi there,

I’d like to chime in, as I too have been having issues capturing handshakes which I think could be the same issue. I believe the software is indeed “buggy”.

I am not able to capture handshakes when PineAP was already enabled before performing the following:

Regarding the process I was able to successfully capture a handshake: 

• Disable PineAP & save
  • navigate to recon tab
  • Perform continuous recon scan
  • Capture handshake button on selected network
  • Deauth my phone (test example) I can see on the phone that I’m booted from the network
  • Handshake is immediately captured

I seem to be able to capture properly when following the above but it would be nice if this bug was fixed and we didn’t need to “work around”!

Cheers,

F

12 hours ago, fab said:

Hi there,

I’d like to chime in, as I too have been having issues capturing handshakes which I think could be the same issue. I believe the software is indeed “buggy”.

I am not able to capture handshakes when PineAP was already enabled before performing the following:

• Disable PineAP & save
  • navigate to recon tab
  • Deauth my phone (test example) I can see on the phone that I’m booted from the network

I seem to be able to capture properly when following the above but it would be nice if this bug was fixed and we didn’t need to “work around”!

Cheers,

F

What firmware were you using? Have you reported the bug?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2022 at 5:19 AM, fab said:

Hi there,

• Disable PineAP & save
  • navigate to recon tab

Cheers,

F

This was the only method for me that worked. Once. When I tried to capture a handshake on a second AP, the Pineapple went back to nothing happening when clicking 'Capture WPA Handshakes.' I also noticed that when running the pineap command, I often get an error that var/run/pineapd.sock does not exist. However, pineapd.lock will be present, and I suspect that it has to do with the interface locking to a specific channel as part of the handshake capture process.

If I'm right, there could be process improvements or even a notification that the interface remains locked.

On 6/15/2022 at 10:34 AM, DramaKing said:

This was the only method for me that worked. Once. When I tried to capture a handshake on a second AP, the Pineapple went back to nothing happening when clicking 'Capture WPA Handshakes.' I also noticed that when running the pineap command, I often get an error that var/run/pineapd.sock does not exist. However, pineapd.lock will be present, and I suspect that it has to do with the interface locking to a specific channel as part of the handshake capture process.

If I'm right, there could be process improvements or even a notification that the interface remains locked.

Thanks to Foxtrot's post here, I realized that I wasn't quite going about this right. PineAP creates the .sock virtual file when it starts, but after capturing a handshake, it won't do it again. So after looking at Deuce022's post and doing some testing, the process is to disable PineAP, switch to Recon, run a scan to start pineapd, then capture a handshake/deauth, etc. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Hopefully, there will be a fix in firmware 2.0.

Archived