Telnet Problems

n00b_nugget

I understand everything about telnet and to use it in the Command Prompt, but when I try connecting to a server like (telnet xx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80) all I get is a empty screen with a white underscore and if I try to type all it does is add another underscore. BTW: I am using Windows XP (maybe I have to set up the Telnet server I am not sure)

Thanks.....

I understand everything about telnet and to use it in the Command Prompt, but when I try connecting to a server like (telnet xx.xxx.xxx.xxx 80) all I get is a empty screen with a white underscore and if I try to type all it does is add another underscore. BTW: I am using Windows XP (maybe I have to set up the Telnet server I am not sure)

Thanks.....

Port 80 is generally for Web Servers, not Telnet servers. Sure you're connecting to the right service? Try xx.xxx.xxx.xxx 23 instead.

I understand everything about telnet

lol

-edit- might as well make this post somethink.

First if ur trying to connect to some one they need to have telnet running, MS XP by default doesnt, MS XP SP2, make it even harder for u to turn it on.

To start Telnet on default port open up CMD and type:

For XP < SP2

net start telnet

For XP SP2

sc config tlntsvr start= auto

net start telnet

with this to connect to it all u need to do is in CMD type:

telnet xx.xx.xx.xx

you will then be prompt for user and pass.

Also just a note if u want security use SSH not telnet.

First if ur trying to connect to some one they need to have telnet running, MS XP by default doesnt, MS XP SP2, make it even harder for u to turn it on.

Dude WTF

the telnet client is on by default in XP all SPs

second use telnet to connect to mail.propwned.org port 25 (that's not a telnet server)

Dude WTF

second use telnet to connect to mail.propwned.org port 25 (that's not a telnet server)

He means the Telnet Server... Ask yourself, why would you need someone to have the telnet client to be able to connect to them?

Dude WTF

He means the Telnet Server... Ask yourself, why would you need someone to have the telnet client to be able to connect to them?

he never said anything about a telnet server he said server on port 80 what would most likely be a web server...

on a better note try typing in helo then hitting enter to the server you're trying to connect to...

he never said anything about a telnet server he said server on port 80 what would most likely be a web server...

LOL WUT?

Thread summary:

1. n00b_nugget tell us that he's used the TELNET CLIENT to connect to a SERVER on port 80. He's getting some weird output.

2. I tell him it's probably not a Telnet server that he's connecting to.

3. Deveant elaborates, explains setting up a TELNET SERVER.

4. You misunderstand Deveant and think he's talking about setting up a TELNET CLIENT.

5. I correct you.

6. You think I'm talking about the first post, when I'm actually talking about Deveants contribution.

LOL WUT?

Thread summary:

1. n00b_nugget tell us that he's used the TELNET CLIENT to connect to a SERVER on port 80. He's getting some weird output.

2. I tell him it's probably not a Telnet server that he's connecting to.

3. Deveant elaborates, explains setting up a TELNET SERVER.

4. You misunderstand Deveant and think he's talking about setting up a TELNET CLIENT.

5. I correct you.

6. You think I'm talking about the first post, when I'm actually talking about Deveants contribution.

agreed, n00b_nugget mentioned that

maybe I have to set up the Telnet server I am not sure

therefore i say that if u want to connect telnet needs to be running on the server side, i thought it would be kinda plan that i was talking about a service not a client.

Depends what he is asking for? Telnet to a Shell, you need to connect to a telnet port, like 23, 22, or ftp (21) etc.

On port 80, the only way to get data is construct your own http request.

Example: "GET /index.html HTTP/1.1"

would return the root index.html page from the server, like viewing source from a web site, you would see all the HTML. You could do this while at work to bypass most proxy and firewalls, since they rarely stop telent on the LAN and you could request pages from most sites and read them as text or save the tet as something.html and open it in your browser even when webfilters block access to the sites.

Standard http commands apply, so long as they accept them on the server side. Basic ones, like HEAD, PUT, OPTIONS, POST, etc...

You can do a lot of command line injection, but would usually require a custom program, not telnet, to construct packets with extra payload info, similar to buffer overflows from the address bar, but chances are, this isnt going to happen with a simple windows xp telnet session.

But for the most part, why would you be connecting to anything other than port 23 or remote shell ports?

If he has to ask, then he doesnt even know to begin with...if he KNEW everything about telnet like he claims, he wouldnt be asking. Period.

...Alrighty, id say disregard everything before this post...

First, id say get a better telnet client. Search for PuTTy on Google and download it. (standalone exe)

Second, is this server actually local on your network? If not you might not have the ports forwarded. So you might know about telnet, but nothing about networking.

Also, are you able to configure the server? If not, download FreeSSHd WAYYY better than the built in telnet server.

BTW, you can run an SSH or Telnet server on whatever port you damn well please! 80, 90, 1000, 9000 whatever.