A good P2P filesharing prog. with emphasis on LAN use?

Baddox

When my buddies get together with our comps, we never fail to have Windows filesharing problems. Does anyone know of a good P2P app to install that would serve this purpose? Obviously some of my friends aren't going to install FTP servers or anything like that, so something easy would be preferable. I know some big LANs use DirectConnect, so I'll be looking into that, but I don't like that it requires a central hub. Any ideas out there?

I'm surprised to hear that windows filesharing works well for you. Samba, indeed, works fine, but when several of my friends get together with their windows xp boxes, things get hairy. I've found, for example, that if I disable Simply File Sharing (which is required to get the Security tab on shares), my whole directory structure by default does not give Everyone read access, so I have to add Everyone to every new share I make. Also, windows does not integrate pausing or resuming, nor does it make it easy to see what files people are getting from you.

Ever since XP added the Simple File Sharing garbage, I've had nothing but trouble with it, whether it's enabled or not.

This is news to me that folks don't have trouble with windows filesharing. Everyone I've EVER talked to has had unending trouble with it. It's not DNS, because it fails often even when going to ipaddress in an address bar. The school I work for has completely giving up using it for file and printer sharing due to its unreliability. There's got to be some P2P app that does the same thing, only works.

This is news to me that folks don't have trouble with windows filesharing. Everyone I've EVER talked to has had unending trouble with it. It's not DNS, because it fails often even when going to ipaddress in an address bar. The school I work for has completely giving up using it for file and printer sharing due to its unreliability. There's got to be some P2P app that does the same thing, only works.

well on most lanparty's they used to use dc++ wich was great .... tho it does require a server runnig , tho any pc can act as a server it is advised to have a dedicated box ...

Don't get me wrong, I used to have shit loads of trouble with simple file sharing. Never worked, people randomly seemed to appear and disappear again, files i could see but not access (and vice versa which confused me) Then I actually sat down and learned how to use the regular file sharing and managed my permissions correctly. It takes a bit of time if you have a lot of shared folders but it does work.

A more detailed example of a common problem I encounter:

Let's say I want to get a file that you have shared. I type in the address bar your.comp.name.or.ip.address. It will simply give an error like "This does not exist, or you do not have permission to access this, blahblahblah." So it's not a permissions problem with individual shares, it won't even let me view the directory of shares on a given computer.

Whenever this occurs (which it does all the time at work), the ONLY remedy I've found is to add a user to the intended server ("you") with the same name and password as the intended client ("me"). This obviously is not a secure or feasible means.

Sounds kind of crazy, but dcc in irc (mirc) gets the job done for me. Only, you would have to sign onto an irc server then fserve to your friends, but since your on the same lan, it goes QUICKLY.

I use it with my wifes computer sometimes when were sharing large files, and it can do a resume, so that is allways a plus(depending on the version of Mirc your running).

Got 100's of files. zip or rar them and send it all at once. Your only connecting to IRC to get the DCC function to your frinds "Nick", but you can use direct connect to in other situations as well, like when windows file sharing isint an option on your lan.

If some of you are on Ma or Linux, then just get the equivalent to Mirc on that OS and do the same. Its really fast and it doesnt run through any shared servers(p2p/internet/torrent tracker, etc) or outside of the local lan.

there are lots of other ways, but sometimes the easiest way is just through something an "IM" client or chat client that allows file sharing.

most lan partys ive gone to (which allow file sharing) windows have done the job fine, though we dont use DNS, windows file sharing and DSN kinda suck, well in the way of direct communication. Though with a decient DHCP server, weve never had a problem with clients and file sharing.

oh just to note, all the lan partys ive gone to have been hosted by me and friends, or i just end up teching <_< though dont get me wrong, there public LANs and usaly have 40-60 people attend.

dc++

Make sure you use either http://download.oldversion.com/dcpp0261.exe that version or oDC http://gempond.com/odc/dl.php?id=69&loc=http or even rev connect http://optusnet.dl.sourceforge.net/sourcef...Conn-0.301b.zip or http://ufpr.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge...DC++_v1.00a.rar

make sure you have non-hashing clients!

DC++ requires a hub this is a hub that is really easy to run. http://deags.de.funpic.org/RDCSetup-1.6.3.zip (i mirrored it because i can no longer find it)