Different Linux Distros

film

Hello, well i was wondering if anyone has like a list/URL/or could tell me, some of the most used Linux distros out there and what there use is for. I currently have Fedora 6, and im wanted to delve deeper in to the Linux world and would like to know what i should use on my other PC's, and what there use is.

-Junior

Hello, well i was wondering if anyone has like a list/URL/or could tell me, some of the most used Linux distros out there and what there use is for. I currently have Fedora 6, and im wanted to delve deeper in to the Linux world and would like to know what i should use on my other PC's, and what there use is.

-Junior

http://distrowatch.com/

I run a few systems and a number of distro’s I have grown to love (I used to have a shit load of test boxes and ran different Linux/BSD/UNIX and a bunch of other operating systems)

What I currently use

Debian with custom kernels - Main Desktop, Terminal Server, Mail Server, DNS Server, File Server, Web Server, Asterisk PBX, Media Server, Alarm System/Security Server .

CentOS – Music Server/ jukebox.

Gentoo – Main Laptop, Xbox.

Slackware – Picture frame/ Music control point/ Security control point.

CRUX - Picture frame/ Music control point/ Security control point.

NetBSD - Picture frame/ Music control point/ Security control point.

Fedora Core 7 – Testing.

Ubuntu Feisty - Testing/helping a friend fixing issues.

Solaris - General use, mainly number crunching.

IRIX – I just liked the look of the SGI computers, not really used for much other them playing around.

HP-UX - Mainly number crunching.

AIX – Computer aided engineering.

LFS – Just playing around with it. It’s currently running on a desktop and a laptop.

OpenBSD – File Server, Firewall, AP.

FreeBSD - Second Desktop

http://linuxtracker.org/

If you wanted to “delve deeper in to the Linux world†then Linux from Scratch is for you. http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

First i would check out DistroWatch.com as they do list the most poular distros. However what distrobution you should next download is a choice that depends on what software and connectivity ease of use you want it to come with standard. Another thing you might want to consider is Unix. Such things as FreeBSD or any other Unix based system would be a good choice for you to learn even more.

Another thing you can do is see if the the OS you want to try comes in a live CD version that way to can try it out before installing it.

Personally i like Fedora and OpenSUSE for linux and OpenBSD for Unix. One thing you might want to try is learning boot loaders so that you install multiple OSs on the same HD allowing you to try more and more OS without having to start over each time.

Other than that start using the terminal more instead of the GUI. It will teach you a lot more about what really happens and how things work than simply downloading software and running. Best of luck