Using a phone as a bluetooth device

Sunari

I recently purchased a new laptop (old one's motherboard freaked out and died RIP :( ). anyways the new one doesnt have a bluetooth device.... What im wondering is .. if its possible to use a USB enabled phone (ie Motorola L6) as a bluetooth device for the computer? Would this involve firmware hacking the phone/unlocking it? is this built into any OS/linux distro?

No i didn’t, I figured people here wouldn’t mind, and I trust the people who post on this forum more then I trust (as well as value their opinion more), than some random person from the internet. My understanding of a forum was that it was a place where one could ask a community of people for their expertise, and input.

<sarcasm> But okay, I'll just not bother posting, and sticking to just Google searchs... In fact we all should do just that, and you know boycott forums and stuff. </sarcasm>

edit: spelling :oops:

Oh, for crying out loud...

Right, xxAtimiskxx - stop telling people to google it if it's a reasonable question. Fine, if it's something you get asked over and over and over again that's clearly and obviously available in the first 5 pages of Google. then say what you like.

Sunari - Ignore him, he's having a brainfart.

ive heard of using a Mobile as a modem but never any one setting it up as a dongel, though there still may be a high chance u can, also just a side note, google tunrs up nothink ^_^

Though as the others have pretty much suggested is a bluetooth dongel outta the question? here in Aus we can pick them up for about $10, so thats about $5US and like $1.25UK :S (go our ecconomy!!)

Its unlikely to work as you want it to, and if it did it would probally be a complete pain in the arse to setup and use. Its a nice idea, but in this case I would recommend dropping the £4 that a white label USB dongle will set you back on ebay. Its simple the most efficient method in this case.

However, if efficiency is not your goal, go for it, I would be interested in seeing if it can be done. You would just need a way of connecting the bluetooth and usb buses [wrong word I know, correct me please] together inside the phone, allowing your computer to talk directly to the bluetooth chip. You would probally need to write some drivers to allow this to function. Have a look at the Treo 650 linux project for some pointers, as linux being linux, it can probally do something similar to this already.

hmm, well cameras for example can act in a diskmode.. could the same concept not be applied? the new phones which have the card slots (miniSD/microSD) im gonna guess they have a disk mode..

could the same concept not be used.. to access the bluetooth device in 'dev' mode? or something.. I realize this would probably require some extensive firmware mods.. maybe even drivers.. but its possible ?..

I realize that its easier to buy a dongle.. but now im intrigued by the challenge...