Router behind my pc

QZak

Basically lads what i want to do is put my router behind my pc and use my pc to monitor all traffic going from my internet connection

Example:

Internet ----- PC with Ethereal -------- Wireless Router -------- Multiple PC'S

Is there any way that this is possible and could you point me in the right direction. If you can help it would be great.

Basically lads what i want to do is put my router behind my pc and use my pc to monitor all traffic going from my internet connection

Example:

Is there any way that this is possible and could you point me in the right direction. If you can help it would be great.

why ethereal thats out of date. you should be using wireshark. I would suggest A form of linux for that computer.

Example:

your probaly gonna want more ehternet ports so buy an internal card off newegg if you dont already have one

not sure why you would put the router behind the pc.

basically I've done this kind of thing before. my design was

inet----router --- switch --Linux box(running proxy server,sniffing tools)---switch---pcs

(reason i had a switch in front of the Linux box was to allow an alternate path {link between the 2 switches} so that in the event of the Linux box going down {not likely :D } a quick gw change of the other pc's would fix the issue)

if you don't have a second switch i would just do this (could also have the router in between the inet and Linux box)

inet-----Linux box(with all appropriate routes etc, sniffing tools etc)----switch----pcs

if all your interested in capturing is web traffic then just have Linux box sitting on the same segment as the other pcs but set the other pcs to use it as a proxy server.

If you have the luxury of a switch/router that allows port mirroring then it becomes even easier :D