Getting Away With Wirless Cable Internet

remaps

I wanted to start a thread to discuss ways of hiding your identity through wireless cable cards, i have a wireless card and i can connect to someone close to me but i rather connect to the fast food joint about three miles away, is there cards out there that can pick up signals from farther distance?

I always hear dial ups the only way to go but i cant believe that and its out of question for me cuz my proxy already makes my fast Internet slow.

I'm also interested in MAC address changing but I'm little confused like dose it need to be legit or can you make one up? also is there a program that searches for wireless connections around you?

Any info related to this topic would be appreciated i think this could help a lot of people and me.

thanks hmmm why did you edit, I think it can be done (connecting 3 miles away) i just need a new card. If i use a wireless access point searcher i can probably find a few residential points but it would be excellent to get a public place you know.

there is no 'card' that signal can span 3miles... u will need a Directional Antenna, and line of sight to the AP. Connecting to a FF Place isnt as easy as it is connecting to open access conections at all.

Scanning For Local APs can be done via many sets of software, simply use google.

It’s possible to send a signal a few hundred miles with of the shelf equipment and the right setup. The equipment I use is:

In a Laptop

SRC 802.11a/ b/g Hi-Power wireless card

or

Reliawave 802.11b 370mW High Power wireless card

and

4 Watt 802.11g (b/g) Amplifier

and

24Dbi Parabolic Mesh Antenna

In a PC

RouterBOARD 18 Eight-Slot miniPCI Adapter

and

Super Range 2 400mW 802.11b/g 2.4GHz MiniPCI cards

and

6 Watt 802.11g (b/g) Amplifiers

and

50 Watt 802.11g (b/g) Amplifier (it's not this one but very similar)

and

24Dbi Parabolic Mesh Antenna

and

13Db Omnidirectional Antennas

and a very large parabolic dish antenna I built myself.

Over a few miles it’s all about using direction antennas and it’s more of a point to point system, but if you just want to spread the signal across a large area you can just use an omnidirectional antenna and a amplifier. Signal strength over 25-50-100 is a hard thing to be precise on, as your power output, antenna and obstructions greatly influence your results.

The cost of everything I use comes to about $6500 but most people only really need:

• 802.11a/ b/g Hi-Power wireless card $123.95

• 2Watt Amplifier $379.99 (you can get them cheaper)

• 24Dbi Parabolic Mesh Antenna about $82.00

There are laws on power output but you can ignore them as there hardly ever enforced and unless your running the equipment 24/7 they will probably not track you down.

I have an interest in wireless technologies so I own and have made a lot of equipment. I think the current record for dissidence is 137.2 miles which was un-amplified but they did use parabolic dish antennas. In most cases you’re going to have things in the way, even if it’s just trees so it helps to use an amplifier.

• 2 months later...
Over a few miles it’s all about using direction antennas and it’s more of a point to point system, but if you just want to spread the signal across a large area you can just use an omnidirectional antenna and a amplifier. Signal strength over 25-50-100 is a hard thing to be precise on, as your power output, antenna and obstructions greatly influence your results.

The cost of everything I use comes to about $6500 but most people only really need:

• 802.11a/ b/g Hi-Power wireless card $123.95

• 2Watt Amplifier $379.99 (you can get them cheaper)

• 24Dbi Parabolic Mesh Antenna about $82.00

There are laws on power output but you can ignore them as there hardly ever enforced and unless your running the equipment 24/7 they will probably not track you down.

I have an interest in wireless technologies so I own and have made a lot of equipment. I think the current record for dissidence is 137.2 miles which was un-amplified but they did use parabolic dish antennas. In most cases you’re going to have things in the way, even if it’s just trees so it helps to use an amplifier.

Just as an aside, a 14 dollar ham radio license is cheap insurance in case your power usage comes into question, and it is valid for 10 years. It grants you the priviledge of using home built equipment (legally), and the higher output power. I would much rather have that then run the risk of being fined (10,000 and up last time I checked), just in case, even though they are hardly enforced. And for the record, hitting someone with 50 watts of a microwave signal can cause eye damage. You'd better make real sure that it's a straight shot without someone in the immediate vicinity. As you go out further, it isn't an issue as much, because the power decreases logarithmically due to path loss.

I think it is valid to point out the concept that a directional antenna is actually what extends the range, whereas the amplifier makes the radiated wave less susceptible to obstacles. To achieve something to the distance of 137 miles out of a 2.4GHz signal, I would be interested in knowing how high the antenna was to still get line of sight to the access point. After a while, the curvature of the earth would disallow line of sight if the antenna is not up high enough.

The antenna I am using is a quad patch PCB antenna, which does about 12 DBi at the center of the 2.4GHz band, and 10DBi on the outside. If I use an old parabolic dish antenna, I pick up 10 DBi (optimistically), but more realistically, I notice about 8.5 DBi. The whole thing cost me 20 bucks...plus the equipment I pulled off of the roof when we moved into this house :-)

I think that the price for amplifiers is outrageous. Sometimes I think people don't realize they are selling something easily made that has been around forever. You do incur a little bit of cost, but it is from using components that the microwave frequency wont interfere with their operation. The fun part is getting the amplifier stages to not interact with each other to keep your noise product down, heh

• 2 months later...

Sorry to resurrect this post, but there is a way to spoof a MAC address in Win2k/XP. Let's see if I can remember: (BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!!)

Open cmd and type ipconfig /all

Next to  DESCRIPTION on the above's output, is the name of your NIC.  Under PHYSICAL ADDRESS is your MAC address.

Open rgedt32 (not regedit on purpose)

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class>{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318

^

(O god :shock:)

There will be a bunch of subkeys with numbers like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc.  Click on each one and there is a entry "DriverDesc".  Find the one with the name of your NIC (mine is 0008) and add a value called NetworkAddress, Data Type=Reg_SZ.

Edit the string by double-clicking it and add the new MAC address that you want to have.(Don't enter a "-", in other words, 00-00-00-00-00-00 would be entered as 000000000000)

Go to Network Connections and right-click the NIC you changed and select disable.  Do the same again but enable it.  If you cannot enable/disable, then you must reboot.

Go back to cmd ipconfig /all and verify the address was changed.

To restore the original manufacturer address, just delete the value you made earlier.

Sorry to resurrect this post, but there is a way to spoof a MAC address in Win2k/XP. Let's see if I can remember: (BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY FIRST!!!)

Open cmd and type ipconfig /all

Next to  DESCRIPTION on the above's output, is the name of your NIC.  Under PHYSICAL ADDRESS is your MAC address.

Open rgedt32 (not regedit on purpose)

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control>Class>{4D36E972-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002bE10318

^

(O god :shock:)

There will be a bunch of subkeys with numbers like 0000, 0001, 0002, etc.  Click on each one and there is a entry "DriverDesc".  Find the one with the name of your NIC (mine is 0008) and add a value called NetworkAddress, Data Type=Reg_SZ.

Edit the string by double-clicking it and add the new MAC address that you want to have.(Don't enter a "-", in other words, 00-00-00-00-00-00 would be entered as 000000000000)

Go to Network Connections and right-click the NIC you changed and select disable.  Do the same again but enable it.  If you cannot enable/disable, then you must reboot.

Go back to cmd ipconfig /all and verify the address was changed.

To restore the original manufacturer address, just delete the value you made earlier.

My wireless card for my laptop has an entry for this and I just change it there and disable/reenable it. If you have a card that doesn't let you change them from there, then this would come in handy. I think the only place you can't enter this is for ethernet cards, but wireless cards(most of them) give you the option to change it from the advanced tab under the nic card settings.