PineAP - 'Log Probes' option is missing

somebloke

Hi All

Had my Tetra sitting in a drawer for about a year.  Got it back out, upgraded the firmware (I'm now on 2.4.2).. and noticed that the PineAP section is missing the 'Log Probes' option.  It's still in the wiki (Management tab), so I assume it should be there and not hidden somewhere new.  Had a quick search in the forum and found one unanswered post asking the same thing in April last year.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing, or should this be logged as a bug? (I notice the bug tracker is down at time of writing).

Cheers, James

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sort of in the same boat.  Got my Tetra out after almost a year, and updated the firmware.  (also redid my RPi 3 w/kali)

I used to be able to just capture SSIDs to the pool (for fun, to make a list) and now I can't for the life of me get it to work.  I've got "log pine AP events"   and "capture SSIDs to pool" both checked, and "PineAP Daemon: Enabled"  but I'm not getting anything?

IMG_20190121_000942.jpg

SNAG-1804.jpg

11 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Did you already try a firmware recovery? not a factory reset but a firmwareware recovery.

I haven't seen that.  I will try it tonight.  Is it in with the factory reset?

1 minute ago, Boosted240 said:

Is it in with the factory reset?

no its a different proceedure, you plug in power while holding the reset button etc (as per the wiki link i gave) configure the IP as per the guide, upload a special factory version of the firmware and wait for the reboot. once back up update to latest FW version (if applicable) and try PineAP again with the same options/filters etc.

Hopefully sorts your issue, I wouldnt install any modules until after you have tested it. That way if it is a module breaking something you know its not a firmware issue.

• 1 month later...

So, I am having the same issue with both my NANO and my TETRA after upgrading to 2.4.x.  PineAP will not capture to the SSID pool.  I currently have the Tetra @2.4.2 and I just did a firmware recovery on my NANO and loaded the file nano_factory.bin from the website which once loaded was @2.4.1.  Here is what I have:

Enabled: PineAP,  Autostart

Checked: Log PineAP Events, Client Connect Notifications, Client Disconnect Notifications, Capture SSIDs to Pool, Beacon Response

I have to say this has been a bit disappointing to have to run through all these hoops, however, if there is more needed to be done to get this resolved, I am open to doing what needs to be done.  I am about to do the firmware recovery on my TETRA just to make sure.

2 hours ago, michaelkrogstad said:

So, I am having the same issue with both my NANO and my TETRA after upgrading to 2.4.x.  PineAP will not capture to the SSID pool.  I currently have the Tetra @2.4.2 and I just did a firmware recovery on my NANO and loaded the file nano_factory.bin from the website which once loaded was @2.4.1.  Here is what I have:

Enabled: PineAP,  Autostart

Checked: Log PineAP Events, Client Connect Notifications, Client Disconnect Notifications, Capture SSIDs to Pool, Beacon Response

I have to say this has been a bit disappointing to have to run through all these hoops, however, if there is more needed to be done to get this resolved, I am open to doing what needs to be done.  I am about to do the firmware recovery on my TETRA just to make sure.

Did you set your filters on the filters page of the pineapples? Either set both to deny and empty lists to catch anything or allowed and set specific targets in the lists.

On 3/4/2019 at 6:10 PM, Just_a_User said:

Did you set your filters on the filters page of the pineapples? Either set both to deny and empty lists to catch anything or allowed and set specific targets in the lists.

To your questions, yes, the filters were set to deny and the lists were cleared.  Therefore my understanding is that it will deny nothing since the lists are empty.

On 3/4/2019 at 10:03 PM, michaelkrogstad said:

PineAP will not capture to the SSID pool.

Are you able to create beacon requests on demand? You could use an old phone, delete all networks from its known networks that are in range (so they don't connect and stop probing) and add networks that don't exist. Those devices should then be probing for them and giving you traffic the pineapples should collect to SSID pool.

Also, double check the PineAP says its enabled, and you have clicked the Save PineAP settings button. Something to check - does recon see nearby networks?

On 3/7/2019 at 11:56 AM, Just_a_User said:

Are you able to create beacon requests on demand? You could use an old phone, delete all networks from its known networks that are in range (so they don't connect and stop probing) and add networks that don't exist. Those devices should then be probing for them and giving you traffic the pineapples should collect to SSID pool.

Also, double check the PineAP says its enabled, and you have clicked the Save PineAP settings button. Something to check - does recon see nearby networks?

So, this is bizarre.  I flashed both devices back from factory recovery and they are now both working as expected.  Don't like the no explaination as to why.

7 hours ago, michaelkrogstad said:

So, this is bizarre.  I flashed both devices back from factory recovery and they are now both working as expected.  Don't like the no explaination as to why.

If I had to guess (and it is a guess) as I didn't have it in front of me. I would suggest it was possibly the pineapple SQL db got borked during the upgrade. It may have been solved with a db refresh.

But either way, glad you have it working now and yes firmware recovery is a great way to get back to a base factory fresh state. It is very rare for me to have any issues after a recovery after trying new "things" out on my pineapple.

Archived