I'm interested in the ability to make hardware and apply the desired software to it, whether it be home code or open-source. Does any one have resources that they themselves have used to obtain this skill? I will be posting my progress in this thread even if there are no replies.

@e-Euler A question I have frequently asked!

It depends on what you want to do. For example, the USB Rubber Ducky is based off an Arduino Teensy platform, which is typically programmed in C.

If you're interested in making hardware, check out Arduino type solutions and PICAXE microcontroller chips.

If you want to go a step up from here, you could check out Field Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs.) Think of these like "liquid" hardware, in the sense that you program them using Verilog or VHDL, and the physical gates on the chip become a piece of hardware you create. It's kind of difficult to explain, but Ben Heck had a great example on his show where he turned an FPGA into a GameBoy, not by actually simulating a GameBoy's software like an emulator does, but actually by making the FPGA work physically like the electronics of the GameBoy of old.

I wouldn't blame you if FPGA's are too complicated though... Personally, I would recommend using an Arduino for custom-hardware solutions as they are quick to use, and easily scalable to meet your needs. If you need a more powerful base, I'd recommend looking at using a Raspberry Pi and the GPIO pins on board, which can be used just like the pins on an Arduino. Additionally, I have done numerous projects with a library for C called "WiringPi", which gives you the ability to use Arduino commands in your C code for the GPIO pins! If that is still too complicated, Python also has some easy GPIO examples for the Raspberry Pi, although you will substantially compromise performance of the solution for easy coding in return.

I hope this helps! If you have any other queries, feel free to write them below or DM me. ^_^

-MB60893.