Tetra initial boot issues

Mudskipper

Hay all, 

Let me just start by saying that I have been trying to work through these issues for the best part of a week and have found threads with similar issues, having said that non of the fixes that have worked for other people seem to be working for me.

Ill try and walk you though the steps I have taken up to this point.

When I first got the tetra I plugged into my laptop with the included Y usb cable and It seemed to be in an endless boot up cycle, there would be an orange light followed by no lights then on to flashing blue followed briefly by solid blue, then repeat. After a bunch of reading I concluded power issues were my problem.

I found my self a 2 amp 12v mains adaptor and tried again, similar issues started once more, this time I could see the new adaptor appear in windows 10 and once or twice I found myself on the upload page for sending latest firmware the tetra however the tetra seemed to reboot at will and the process never got completed.

It was at this stage that I turned my attention to the switch on the back. After much reading I concluded that many other people have had a sticky switch so that's likely the cause of my issues.

(side note: I live in the UK and sending the tetra back for a replacement would be extremely costly when you factor in import tax on a replacement unit. My original order cost me £63 import tax and then postage on top. that's about half the value of the tetra)

After playing with the button and using a fair amount of force I had a slight improvement in results, for the first time the tetra seemed to boot up and stay running however id inevitably have to try pressing the button again once I was asked to disable the wifi, after that it was either not registering the button press or had slipped back into a reboot cycle.

After weighing the possibility of sending the unit back I came to the conclusion that It was probably not worth the cost, now I'm not to bad with electronics so I decided to open the tetra up and just remove the switch, my through process being that I can always short circuit the two pins to achieve a button press when required and It would also enable me to rule in or out a faulty button.

Ok so some measure of success was now achieved!

• The new networking adaptor showed up in windows
  • I was able to set the IP address of the computer to 172.16.42.42 and the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the Default gateway to 172.16.42.1 also the Preffered DNS server to 8.8.8.8
  • I can ping the router with the command "ping 172.16.42.1" and it gets a response.
  • and I can go onto both chrome and firefox and navigate to http://172.16.42.1:1471 and see the landing page for a not yet setup tera
  • It also does not reboot on its own at all anymore.

So in regards to the button it probably is junk. No bother I can stick a new switch in sometime in the future.

After dancing around my computer for half an hour I sat down and tried to get through the Installing latest software page.

I got to the section that asks you to turn off the wifi and I shorted the two pins where the switch used to be but nothing happened on the web browser, Ok I though, lets just see if any of my wifi devices can see the two wifi adaptors on the tetra, non could so I clicked continue. This took me to the Install latest software page where I could choose the relevant  .bin file. The latest one seemed to be upgrage-2.2.0.bin . I selected it and pressed upgrade. I was presented with the your upload has been verified page which suggests that the firmware flash is now in progress and it may take 10-15 minutes. after about 10-20 seconds the page just reloads and I'm back to the \Install latest software page where I have to select a file. I have tired older .bin files from the website and its the same result. The tera still has a solid blue light and is responding to a ping, also the ip address is right along with the subnet mask, default gateway and preferred DNS server.

Its at this stage I could really do with some help off of somebody more knowledgeable, I'm hoping that hardware wise I'm all good now and its a software glitch. 

I realise that even if I wanted to send it back and pay for the shipping costs of sending it back plus the shipping back of a new one and the import taxes that hak5 would be well within there rights to refuse as I have taken it apart and removed the button.

Id really appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to sort this out.

Best Regards 

Andy 

hi Andy,

Yeah its a shame you didnt contact Hak5 direct first as they would have most likely replaced the unit and maybe let you keep the defect or arranged pickup. Like you say prob too late now as you have operated on it. a note on the switch - it may be NC and required a OC to trigger, i don't know just a thought.

1 hour ago, Mudskipper said:

This took me to the Install latest software page where I could choose the relevant  .bin file. The latest one seemed to be upgrage-2.2.0.bin . I selected it and pressed upgrade

something doesn't sound right. IIRC the Pineapple UI doesn't allow you to select the upgrade bin it auto selects latest if newer than current installed firmware.

1 hour ago, Mudskipper said:

'm back to the \Install latest software page where I have to select a file. I have tired older .bin files from the website and its the same result.

Im wondering if you mean the uboot recovery page? 192.168.1.1 ? that allows you to upload the factory version of the firmware

for a recovery page to appear, you need to hold the reset button down and then turn the pineapple on, did removing the switch automatically make it "pressed" without being on the device itself?  you might need to solder a new button on the board for the webui to properly work.  also you mentioned that you found a 12v2amp adapter.  Did your pineapple not come with a US wall plug?  correct me if im wrong, but cant you get an adapter for UK to US wall power switch?  I dont know much about plugin adapters so disregard if that was a dumb question.  You should though no matter what be using the 12v2a wall plug if you can.  the Y cable connected to the pc will not always provide enough power to keep the pineapple fully powered which could cause the reboots.

right good news guys.

I was able to complete the setup over wifi and all is now working. So just to summarise I think there have been three problems here which is why it was so hard to diagnose.

• initially possible power problems, solved by using a 2 amp 12v mains power supply.
  • the reset button was stuck in a closed position so the tetra was rebooting periodically 
  • possible windows 10 driver problem or something that wasn't allowing me to complete the initial set up over the usb cable 

thanks for all the suggestions guys

regards

Andy 

23 hours ago, Mudskipper said:

right good news guys.

I was able to complete the setup over wifi and all is now working. So just to summarise I think there have been three problems here which is why it was so hard to diagnose.

• initially possible power problems, solved by using a 2 amp 12v mains power supply.
  • the reset button was stuck in a closed position so the tetra was rebooting periodically 
  • possible windows 10 driver problem or something that wasn't allowing me to complete the initial set up over the usb cable 

thanks for all the suggestions guys

regards

Andy 

Glad you got it working and figured out.  Shipping sounds like bear being in the UK.  

Archived