Stumped?? Server 2003 RC2 share access

G-Stress

Man I kinda feel dumb even asking, but i'm actually stumped I even watched a CBT Nuggets video to see if I left anything out.

My problem is I just installed server 2003 RC2 Enterprise edition. The thing is I cannot access any network shares. I can ping just fine back and forth, but cannot access any shares on that machine nor access any shares from that machine to any other machine. I have all the file permissions set as I would if it were just XP pro, only admin's with full access and everyone with only read access. File sharing is enabled and opened on the firewall, however something weird... to my understanding file sharing uses port 139, but with a nmap -sS scan it said 139 was closed.

I double checked to make sure I did allow it and I did it was fine. I tried even disabling the firewall, still cannot access anything. There are currently no anti-virus or 3rd. partry firewall's installed. When I try to access a client machine from my server I start to type "" and it automatically gives me 2 choices I could select "Default LAN" and "Favorite LAN". Haven't seen that before. My ultimate goal is to setup a domain mainly for experience, but right now I would like to just transfer some data from this client to the server

I did install most of the windows components also after installation, not sure if that has anything to do with it. One thing when I try to access a client via My Network Places, address bar computername it doesn't even hesitate to look, it automatically spits back it cannot find it and to check the spelling. The same goes with Start, Search, search for computers, it doesn't seem to search the lan at all, it's like there is a service not started or something, I checked all the one's that seem like it would relate to this issue and they all seem to be running.

I'd greatly appreciate any info/advice and at the same time feel dumb if it's something so simple, but this is really my first time messing with server :D

http://wiki.ethereal.com/SMB2

Only partially. According to the above link both 139 and 445 can be used. with a preference for 445. Maybe the support for connectivity over 139 has been turned off, or is used to signify the user wants to use SMB rather than SMB2?

Guys, thanks for all the advice. debianuser, yes I can access my shares by goin to start, run serverip so I can access them on the machine itself, but not across the lan.

I thought I tried that already but I guess not, I have not even heard of SMB2, so that will be somthing I will look into. As far as the shares I set them up just like a standard share in XP Pro, with read only access for everyone and one admin user full access.

So port 445 with the microsoft-ds service (as it appears that way with every nmap scan) that is for file sharing also? I didn't know that, but was curious.

Umm I know I should be using windows for a server, but again just doin it for my own knowledge once I setup and am able to manage a domain then I'll be satisfied and move on to a linux based server.

My thing is I study my butt off everynight at least an hour I got all kinds of interactive training, but unless I get experience (hands on) then I will never remember. Alot of useful info here again thanks hopefully I can figure something out tonight :D

Ok guys, i've narrowed it down to being a firewall issue. For some reason ports 139 and 445 will no open as it appears. They are listed as being opened in the firewall exceptions menu but with every nmap scan their listed as closed. I tried changing options to creating a custom ip access list and changing the option from Subnet Only to Any computer and the ports always show as being closed. :?

How are you trying to access your shares from the client? Are you trying to map the drive or are you trying to access it via "run" or "explorer"?

Are you trying serverip or serverdns?

Try the serverip from the client, it can be just a dns issue. If its a firewall issue, turn your firewall off on your 2K3 server, access the share remotely, turn back on your filewall.

How are you trying to access your shares from the client? Are you trying to map the drive or are you trying to access it via "run" or "explorer"?

Are you trying serverip or serverdns?

Try the serverip from the client, it can be just a dns issue. If its a firewall issue, turn your firewall off on your 2K3 server, access the share remotely, turn back on your filewall.

I've tried all the above. I've enabled netBios over tcp/ip, added my client machine to the WINS section of the tcp/ip properties, disabled firewall, I can ping the server ip just fine, I can access the ftp and web server just fine inside the local lan and externally, but for some reason out of all the things I've tried the file sharing ports will not open. 139 and 445 it seems as if on the server there might also be a service that is not running for file sharing because like when you click start --> search --> search for comptuers usually it will search the lan, but it does not. Instantly it error's out that cannot find host. The same with tryin to access the client via clientip or clientdns. As I stated earlier in my posts after not being successful I have a CBT Nuggets training cd on server 2003 and I watched the file sharing part to make sure I didn't miss nuttin so i'm a bit stunned :?

This is where Change Management comes in handy. Do you remember all the changes you made to your machine since you installed the OS? If you do, reverse it, if not, since this is a lab, start a fresh install.

After a fresh install, make a share and open the NTFS/Share permissions wide open. Try by IP address. Then work from there. Tighten up permissions, configure DNS, Promote, add Domain Accounts to your ACL's.

I don't recommend having a firewall on on a Infrastucture/File server. Way to many ports to open up. We do things way different in the Enterprise world.

Thanks n0x, Another thing this was a fresh install. The only really change I made is I did add most of the component services from the add/remove programs then the add/remove windows components. I don't see how any of those services could effect just file sharing. As I did mention it does appear that a service isn't running on the server as far as file sharing goes, cause when I try to browse for comptuers on the server it doesn't even attempt to search it instantly just error's out that host not found whether it be by ip or netbios name :cry: