My internet is not working

SomeoneE1se

Ok I've been having this problem with with my internet connection, it's really starting to piss me off so hopefully y'all can help.

When I'm torrenting every so often my connection will just stop working. It won't tell me the connection has dropped, it will just stop working. If I close my torrent client, (and everything else trying to use the connection) it will tell me it has a limited or no connection. When this happens I can't disable the adapter or repair it. And when I try to restart, my computer hangs and I have to force it off via the power button.

I'm out of ideas here and I REALLY REALLY REALLY DON'T want to have to reinstall my OS.

my modem pwns your modem, i get 128Kb/s down and 8Kb/s up,

but seriously, do you happen to use cable because my cable modem does the same thing, but i have to go all the way out to my garage to get it reconnected, btw my modem is a D-Link something or other that the cable company supplied, reminder to self, subscribe to Fibre, Kill Evil Monkey, Pickup Milk.

VaKo: if the connection goes down and I try /release /renew it just hangs. On release it won't work. And my router is already set to 60 mins

my modem pwns your modem, i get 128Kb/s down and 8Kb/s up,

but seriously, do you happen to use cable because my cable modem does the same thing, but i have to go all the way out to my garage to get it reconnected, btw my modem is a D-Link something or other that the cable company supplied, reminder to self, subscribe to Fibre, Kill Evil Monkey, Pickup Milk.

When it's working I get 300 down and 60 up so at this point mine pwns yours because I can have to restart my computer 3 times and still have my downloads done first. It's not the cable and I almost sure it's not my dd-wrt router.

Try removing TCP/IP from your machine, rebooting and installing it again. Sounds like the TCP/IP stack is fubar'd, so hopefully removing it and adding it again might help things. If that doesn't work, strip out all your software firewalls etc and see what happens.

Yeah, but if something nasty has attempted to modify the actual files in question then just doing a reset won't fix it. By removing the actual files, and reinstalling them, plus doing a reset we can be sure that the TCP/IP stack is ok. You should probally remove and reinstall your torrent client to be safe as well. I take it you've done the obvious and checked for viruses, malware etc? And cleaned the dust out of the fans... sounds dumb but its worked for me some times. Hook up wireshark and check the system logs in event viewer, it should give a reason for hanging. And I take it this isn't a tweaked version of XP where you've allowed a stupid amount of connections.