Host unreachable

HeavyVin

So I finnaly got my Squirrel in the mail (I ordered it last Thursday and paid for $15 shipping :sad:) but now i cant ssh into it. It boots and flashes green and i checked im in the proper jack. 

I tried to ping it and i got "host unreachable" Im hoping someone here can help.

1 hour ago, HeavyVin said:

It boots and flashes green and i checked im in the proper jack. 

I tried to ping it and i got "host unreachable" Im hoping someone here can help.

Did you already try the  factory reset? or worst case Firmware recovery?

Ive already reflashed mine a few times after trying some "things",

EDIT - also i managed to knock my switch out of arming mode by accident once so worth checking that as it had me head scratching for a while.

Well, it took me a while to get back on but I was able to test the factory reset and Firmware recovery and I must be doing something wrong. I get an IP in the 192 range. I when I try to use the web recovery I try to go to 192.168.1.1 but that is the IP assigned to the laptop I'm doing it from. Is there someway I can pull logs from the device itself? Anyone have any other suggestions.

I checked the switch position and switched cables.

P.S. @Just_a_User I finally read the definition in your pic and I love it! (Even with my current case of user error)

39 minutes ago, HeavyVin said:

Anyone have any other suggestions.

I shut down my wifi and set my squirrel network up manually, gave my laptop the IP 192.168.1.10 and unplugged the cable from my PacketSquirrel to my router as my router is also 192.168.1.1 and I didn't want any issues. - make sure you already downloaded the flash file tho :)

Is there someway I can pull logs from the device itself?

if your ssh'd in you can use logread for log info. Not sure if you can in recovery mode without serial access.

I finally read the definition in your pic and I love it!

I am very frequently an idiot :) but am comfortable enough with it to say so :)

1 minute ago, HeavyVin said:

I'm running windows so I don't know my way around the command prompt. How can I set a temp ip?  

Sorry I haven't used windows in ages so don't remember off the top of my head.  But a quick web search came up with this maybe it helps: -

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/where-do-i-go-to-manually-configure-my-network/2d9dabc6-723d-496a-aeb0-31e70aade49f?auth=1

4 minutes ago, HeavyVin said:

Side question: is there a man page equivalent for netsh? 

quick web search and found this, maybe it helps https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754516(v=ws.10).aspx

Thanks, I was trying to figure out that command prompt but I should probably just use that gui. My googling turned up tons of guides to do but they were all unrelated. 

_

I was able to reflash the firmware and by using the gui I was able to see that when it rebooted the network did not reconnect. Any ideas?

Just to cover all bases, on your Windows computer go ahead and disconnect from all other networks (e.g. WiFi) so that when you connect to the Packet Squirrel in arming mode it's the only device available. Your Network Connections (from Control Panel) should look like this. My Network Interface Card connected to the Packet Squirrel is the ASIX AX8877B named "Ethernet 11"

image.png

If you have a Wi-Fi connection, right-click it and choose Connect / Disconnect, then turn your Wi-Fi off.

Next make sure your Packet Squirrel switch is flipped to the arming mode position. That's the position closest to the USB host port where a flash drive can plug in.

Then power on your Packet Squirrel and connect an Ethernet cable between its "Ethernet In" port (that's the one right next to the Micro USB power port) and your computer.

Then right-click your Ethernet adapter and select properties. You'll get a menu that looks like this:

image.png

Click Details and you'll get a screen like this:

image.png

And you should see next to IPv4 an address similar to mine -- 172.16.32.something

If you don't see that, go ahead and close that menu and click Properties on the Ethernet Status window. From this menu:

image.png

Select Internet Protocol Version 4 and click Properties

image.png

And make sure on the following screen the adapter is set to obtain both IP and DNS automatically. Click OK twice and close once.

Archived