Recon error

CeriousCat

2 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

what version of the firmware are you running? sounds like an older version issue.

Well I got it a few days ago and the first thing I did, was to download the latest Wifi pineapple files from here.
https://www.wifipineapple.com/pages/setup

Shouldn't that be the latest? Or is the firmware a seperate thing? (I really hope it is, if it will help)

1 minute ago, CeriousCat said:

first thing I did, was to download the latest Wifi pineapple files from here

it maybe i just wanted to know what verison your running on the pineapple - i normally update from the pineapple itself using the firmware upgrade section on the advanced tab.

3 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

it maybe i just wanted to know what verison your running on the pineapple - i normally update from the pineapple itself using the firmware upgrade section on the advanced tab.

I'm trying to login through my browser (pc/windows) to find the version etc, but it just won't let me.. I've plugged it in using the Y-cable (weird addition) and when its done flashing, I go the address http://172.16.42.1:1471/ and it just returns "Page not found"

1 minute ago, CeriousCat said:

I'm trying to login through my browser (pc/windows) to find the version etc, but it just won't let me.. I've plugged it in using the Y-cable (weird addition) and when its done flashing, I go the address http://172.16.42.1:1471/ and it just returns "Page not found"

windows, linux or mac?

2 minutes ago, CeriousCat said:

Like I wrote:
I'm trying to login through my browser (pc/windows) to find the 

Also, I did try to search for a firmware upgrade.. It said I have the latest one unfortunately

sorry overlooked the windows part. can you still not log in? or are you in?

if your in have you tried a factory reset?

Just now, Just_a_User said:

sorry overlooked the windows part. can you still not log in? or are you in?

if your in have you tried a factory reset?

Still not in on my Windows machine.. Do you really have to use the USB Y-cable to get connection through a PC? I think I will connect it to my android phone again, to perform the factory reset..  it is in the menu right?

2 minutes ago, CeriousCat said:

Still not in on my Windows machine.. Do you really have to use the USB Y-cable to get connection through a PC? I think I will connect it to my android phone again, to perform the factory reset..  it is in the menu right?

no, you could power it from a USB wall adapter or power bank and join the wifi management network you entered during its initial setup.

3 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

no, you could power it from a USB wall adapter or power bank and join the wifi management network you entered during its initial setup.

Okay that sounds cool.. Only that does not work either.. When I try to connect, immidiately after I write the password (which is correct), my pc says it cannot connect. Maybe its a firewall issue, but its very annoying. 

BTW.. I can see the current firmware I have.. It is 1.1.3. When I click "Check upgrade" It says "No upgrade found". 

Edited by CeriousCat

3 minutes ago, CeriousCat said:

Okay that sounds cool.. Only that does not work either.. When I try to connect, immidiately after I write the password (which is correct), my pc says it cannot connect. Maybe its a firewall issue, but its very annoying. 

try a different browser?

if no luck then to perform a factory reset from a fully booted WiFi Pineapple, hold the RESET button for approximately 7 seconds. The device will then reboot.

you will then need to complete the initial config again

Edited by Just_a_User

14 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

try a different browser?

if no luck then to perform a factory reset from a fully booted WiFi Pineapple, hold the RESET button for approximately 7 seconds. The device will then reboot.

you will then need to complete the initial config again

Its being factory reset as we speak.. While eating a chili wine gum. I just got my SD card working with it as well.. Since the internal memory isn't the largest. 

1 hour ago, CeriousCat said:

I just got my SD card working with it as well.. Since the internal memory isn't the largest. 

Did you use the pineapple interface to format the SD correctly on the pineapple advanced tab USB section? it also sets up a swap on the SD. I never run mine without an sd. When configuring the sd i also change log location to /sd/ in the PineAP tab. but thats personal pref.

how are you connected to it now? Y lead or wifi?

So not it has been reset, ran the setup again.. Still fucks up when recon'ing. It can search fine the first and only first time.. Then its downhill. 

Does it do this if powered from a 5v 2A wall adapter or powerbank as well as when connected to laptop/pc via Y lead?

Edited by Just_a_User

7 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

Did you use the pineapple interface to format the SD correctly on the pineapple advanced tab USB section? it also sets up a swap on the SD. I never run mine without an sd. When configuring the sd i also change log location to /sd/ in the PineAP tab. but thats personal pref.

how are you connected to it now? Y lead or wifi?

Does it do this if powered from a 5v 2A wall adapter or powerbank as well as when connected to laptop/pc via Y lead?

I do not have a wall plug with 2 USB inputs.. only for one.. its a stupid solution if you ask me. 

Okay So I've plugged it into my wall now, with to USB chargers (not stealthy at all!). With this option I cant log on to the Management AP at all. I can only log in with USB tethering.. When I do this, the same stupid error occurs.. I can search fine once and afterwards it either makes an error or gets stuck at 100%.. I'm sending it back.. Waste of my hard earned money. 

I do not have a wall plug with 2 USB inputs.. only for one.. its a stupid solution if you ask me. 

You would only normally need 1x USB socket as long as it can supply 5V 2A, And if you used a 5V 2A USB powerbank you can take the pineapple mobile...

With this option I cant log on to the Management AP at all.

this is strange, when the pineapple is on (connected to laptop or wall adapter) can you even see your management networks name when searching for wifi networks?

Sounds to me like a bad flash i would perform a firmware recovery as shown in the wiki, There should be no need to return it.

Edited by Just_a_User

1 hour ago, Just_a_User said:

You would only normally need 1x USB socket as long as it can supply 5V 2A, And if you used a 5V 2A USB powerbank you can take the pineapple mobile...

this is strange, when the pineapple is on (connected to laptop or wall adapter) can you even see your management networks name when searching for wifi networks?

Sounds to me like a bad flash i would perform a firmware recovery as shown in the wiki, There should be no need to return it.

What do you know, that does not work either.. I press and hold the reset button. Then connect the pineapple and wait.. and wait for 10 seconds and release... Nothing happens. I'm sorry if I seem like I dont want your help but its the nano that does not want to coorporate. 

What do you know, that does not work either.. I press and hold the reset button. Then connect the pineapple and wait.. and wait for 10 seconds and release... Nothing happens. I'm sorry if I seem like I dont want your help but its the nano that does not want to coorporate. 

Unfortunately its not just pushing and holding the reset button while plugging it in, you also have to manually configure the interface like the wiki says: -

• From the host PC, configure a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple facing Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0

Once configured correctly you would browse to 192.168.1.1 and upload the special factory version of the firmware from here https://www.wifipineapple.com/files/nano_factory.bin

Once uploaded it will flash and reboot. Once rebooted you would be best to get the pineapple online and run the update from the  pineapple itself to get to latest version. from there you should be good to go.

If you feel unable to do the above then maybe the pineapple isnt for you,  At least i can say i tried my best to help :)

1 hour ago, Just_a_User said:

Unfortunately its not just pushing and holding the reset button while plugging it in, you also have to manually configure the interface like the wiki says: -

• From the host PC, configure a static IP address on the WiFi Pineapple facing Ethernet interface to 192.168.1.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0

Once configured correctly you would browse to 192.168.1.1 and upload the special factory version of the firmware from here https://www.wifipineapple.com/files/nano_factory.bin

Once uploaded it will flash and reboot. Once rebooted you would be best to get the pineapple online and run the update from the  pineapple itself to get to latest version. from there you should be good to go.

If you feel unable to do the above then maybe the pineapple isnt for you,  At least i can say i tried my best to help :)

And I'm thankful for your effort. I have the skills required to do what wiki says, but when I plug my pineapple in, my system does not register the device at all. It gives power to the pineapple, but nothing happens when I press and hold the reset button

when I plug my pineapple in, my system does not register the device at all. It gives power to the pineapple, but nothing happens when I press and hold the reset button

Windows can be temperamental sometimes, have you tried using linux? You could do this with a live cd/usb booted.

Its quite strange that your pineapple connects to your PC when booted normally but doesn't connect to your pc in recovery mode. But at least this proves there isnt a hardware problem. because if there was it wouldn't connect in either way.

Edited by Just_a_User