Tetra Receivers

tapiot

I don't understand how the RF portion works...4 antennas, does that equate to 4 receivers? If I want to use a directional antenna, do I need to have one on each antenna port? Just need a bit of basic info. I plan on using Kali on a Raspberry Pi to interface, then SSH into either the Pi or the Pineapple (I'm a neophyte so not a guru on SSH). Thanks for all comments.

10 minutes ago, tapiot said:

I don't understand how the RF portion works

2x radios, each radio has 2x antenna for diversity.

15 minutes ago, tapiot said:

If I want to use a directional antenna, do I need to have one on each antenna port?

Normally one per radio would suffice, depending on what your doing.

5 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

2x radios, each radio has 2x antenna for diversity.

Normally one per radio would suffice, depending on what your doing.

So the RF is actually 4 separate receivers? How do they combine signals? It doesn't matter in the big scheme of things...but I have a 2.4 ghz yagi...and looking at one for 5 ghz...so I could leave two of the omni antennas on and have the directionals on...but what are the other two then doing? Is there a means to turn them off? Take off antennas? Turn them from vertical to horizontal for the polarization rejection?

17 hours ago, tapiot said:

Oh crap...didn't read your whole post (selective reading?) so two receivers....I assume a receiver on each end then...question still remains, how to disable an omni antenna...

2x radios, both rx & tx, both 2.4 & 5ghz. One either side of the tetra.

17 hours ago, tapiot said:

question still remains, how to disable an omni antenna...

Not sure why you would want to disable them as diversity can be very useful in noisy areas. As far as I know its not an option to switch one off in software.

I wouldn't do this myself, I would leave the omni's on the tetra. The diversity part would select the strongest signal automatically most likely from the yagi. But your main option would be to replace "unused"  antennas using a 50 Ohm rf load terminator like this https://www.pasternack.com/2-watts-sma-male-rf-load-up-to-18-ghz-precision-pe6081-p.aspx

Edited by Just_a_User

I don't want diversity for this application, I need focused directivity......I'm looking for an AP which right now, I have to rely on signal strength.

Thanks for comments and link to Pasternack. 

BTW...watching YouTube and Darren was fondling a 2.4 ghz yagi just like the one i have...the show was on antennas...but still looking for the follow on to see what he did with it.

I'm not really doing "fox and hound" although that is an interesting idea.  I live in a subdivision and with the Tetra, have discovered several "hidden" access points. I have a small,15 dbi gain yagi for 2.4ghz and wanted to be able to find out in which direction they are, then monitor then passively. I wanted to focus only on those without others also coming in to the system. If two antennas feed the same receiver, I am considering purchasing a second yagi. Also, some of these are not a real strong signal and the gain would be an added benefit. I'm a ham radio guy and have antennas outside.  A couple small ones on a TV rotor won't attract any undue attention if I want to do that. Some really good coax and I wouldn't lose a lot of signal (that means no RG-58). 

However, that "fox and hound" is an interesting thought, I plan on doing that with a 2 meter system, trying to get some local hams involved. I ordered the dongle you listed...and could actually use it with Kali and perhaps get what I'm looking for without using the Tetra...but, the Tetra seems to have considerable gain over a standard wifi setup.

Thanks for the comment and the idea.

You probably already know this, so putting it out there for the new to radio folks.  Use as short as you can coax if you really have to use coax.  Make sure what you're using is made for microwave.  The stuff they sell at your average home store is not.  Microwave grade coax and connectors require special tools to crimp, don't use pliers.

Here's an idea for you to ponder.  Build a Poe injector set for a raspberry pi and connect the adapter I showed you to that with the yagi.  Mount this in a weatherproof box on your antenna spinner.  This will keep your coax to the foot or so on the antenna, so minimal signal loss.  You can vnc or ssh into the pi from your desktop.

On 10/4/2017 at 8:37 AM, barry99705 said:

If you're doing a fox and hound, just use a usb wifi adapter and a directional antenna.  It will be much easier to set up.  Any adapter with monitor mode capability and an external antenna attachment will work.  This is a good one.

That adapter has the darn RP connector on it...I'm learning all about RP and standard SMA connectors the hard way....

16 minutes ago, barry99705 said:

Any consumer wifi equipment you pick up will have rp connectors on them.  The pineapple was the weird one with the standard polarity connectors.  Though I guess it's not standard consumer gear.

Kinda like my ham radio handhelds....my Kenwood has one style, the Baofeng has the other. For all I know, they are made on the same manufacturing line in China. Just another little bump in the road...