Eth1 via usb ethernet adapter. A to be continued how to

Forkish

I've done done it in the past but I felt I was a more learned nanoer then. I can't for the life of me figure out how I use a usb ethernet adapter in wlan2 for a wired connection. In the past I've read that the usb port is set up to be a wireless adapter but I it. An be done how.

any pointers to help me figure it out?

are you trying to do a wired connection via the usb port or a wireless connection?

I would like to use an usb/ethernet adapter so I can Hardwire the usb port internet connection to a little travel router (gl-inet ar300 with openwrt). I like to be able to turn off the management AP so the nano runs a bit more smooth. 

In the past I've tried just plugging eth0 usb male side into the usb port of the travel router (tried it with a wr703n with dd-wrt) and it the pineapple gets all screwy. I'll try it with the openwrt boxes but I'd like to convert the wlan2 into eth1.

does that make sense?

I have everything written down on my PC at home. Later tonight I'll send it to you.  It's also in a post somewhere but I couldn't even tell you where 

Oh snap. That would be excellent. Another question. I often have the tetra set at 172.16.42.1 and the nano at 172.16.41.1. For some reason I've never done it; but if what happens if you plug the nano into the usb port in the tetra? Would it be treated as an ethernet connection? If there's no answer, I'm going to try it when I get home.

it should show up as eth1 and you should be able to ssh into in from a terminal on the tetra.  Ive seen Darren and Seb joking around in a vlog and they connected the nano to the tetra but they also stated that it was not a good way to power the nano so if you do, use the Y-cable and a battery so the tetra isnt the only power source.

EDIT: @Spoonish this is what you are looking for.

etc/config/network

config interface 'wan2'
	option ifname	'eth1'
	option proto	'dhcp'
	option dns	'8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4'

/etc/config/firewall:

config zone
	option name			wan
	list   network		'wan'
	list   network		'wan2'
	option input		ACCEPT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		ACCEPT
	option masq		1
	option mtu_fix		1

Add these to the specific files and save and reboot.  Just a fair warning, If the Nano doesnt have a driver for the usb2eth0 device you are using, then it wont work.  I searched amazon for ASIX AX88179 ( which is the chip used for that, the Nano uses an ASIX AX88178 for its usb2eth0 ) and bought one for like $15 if that.

• 5 months later...
On 8/7/2017 at 7:06 PM, b0N3z said:

it should show up as eth1 and you should be able to ssh into in from a terminal on the tetra.  Ive seen Darren and Seb joking around in a vlog and they connected the nano to the tetra but they also stated that it was not a good way to power the nano so if you do, use the Y-cable and a battery so the tetra isnt the only power source.

EDIT: @Spoonish this is what you are looking for.

etc/config/network

config interface 'wan2'
	option ifname	'eth1'
	option proto	'dhcp'
	option dns	'8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4'

/etc/config/firewall:

config zone
	option name			wan
	list   network		'wan'
	list   network		'wan2'
	option input		ACCEPT
	option output		ACCEPT
	option forward		ACCEPT
	option masq		1
	option mtu_fix		1

Add these to the specific files and save and reboot.  Just a fair warning, If the Nano doesnt have a driver for the usb2eth0 device you are using, then it wont work.  I searched amazon for ASIX AX88179 ( which is the chip used for that, the Nano uses an ASIX AX88178 for its usb2eth0 ) and bought one for like $15 if that.

Just what I was looking for, thank you.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys,

I bought this from amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AQM8586/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .  Says it has Asix AX88179 chipset that was mentioned.  I plug it into my tetra and the ethernet ports blink then go dead.  I feel like it can work but i'm missing something.  Do I have to get into the /etc/config/network or /etc/config/firewall settings to get this to work?  I basically just want another Lan port on my tetra.  

Archived