Bash Bunny Firmware v1.3 Flash Clarification

Asterix

Hi Bunny Fans....this is my first post so please be gentle with me!

Can someone help clarify something for me please?

I've been experimenting with my new Bash Bunny for a few days now, and apart from having to restore it back to factory settings a couple of times I think this will become one of my favourite exploit tools.  Today I decided to FLASH the Bash Bunny Firmware to v 1.3. I followed the download link, and the flash instructions but have not been able to get bunny to update the firmware (Police LED Red/Blue etc). So here is my question.  (Please don't tell me i'm being stupid or should know better !)

This is what the instructions tell me to do:-

Step by Step Firmware Upgrade Instructions

1. Quote

1. Download the latest version of the Bash Bunny firmware from https://bashbunny.com/download
    2. Verify that the SHA256 checksum of the downloaded firmware files matches the checksum listed at bashbunny.com
    3. Slide the Bash Bunny switch into Arming Mode (closest to the USB plug) and plug the Bash Bunny into your computer
    4. Copy the firmware upgrade file downloaded in step 1 to the root of the Bash Bunny flash drive.
    5. Safely eject the Bash Bunny flash drive (IMPORTANT)
    6. With the switch still in Arming Mode, plug the Bash Bunny back into your computer and wait 10 minutes.

So I did all of that. I use Kali-Linux with Midnight Commander as my visual file manager/explorer. Step 4 says copy the firmware upgrade file downloaded in step 1 to the root of the Bash Bunny flash drive.... 

Q. Does that mean copy the entire "FOLDER" called "/upgrade" or the individual FILE called "uImage" within the "/upgrade" folder ?

Q. If I browse to "media/root" then I find a FOLDER called "/BashBunny" this is where I have "Switch 1 / Switch 2 etc" so not what I would class as the ROOT of the USB device... Or am I getting totally mixed up with terminology caused by years of exposure to MS Windows file structures ???

Any help would be welcome. 

Thanks

MM

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Asterix said:

Q. Does that mean copy the entire "FOLDER" called "/upgrade" or the individual FILE called "uImage" within the "/upgrade" folder ?

Q. If I browse to "media/root" then I find a FOLDER called "/BashBunny" this is where I have "Switch 1 / Switch 2 etc" so not what I would class as the ROOT of the USB device... Or am I getting totally mixed up with terminology caused by years of exposure to MS Windows file structures ???

Q1 - Copy the ch_fw_1.3_264.tar.gz file as is (no need to unpack) to the root of the bashbunny storage.

Q2 - Yep the root of the bashbunny storage would be media/root/BashBunny/ don’t place it in any directory, just there. remember to safe eject then plug in and let it do its thing.

Hope this clarifies things for you. if not just ask

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

From what I can see, the firmware update is not affected by the addition of unpacked contents of the .gz  to the root, but then again I am unable to comment further as my 3rd Bash Bunny replacement died after I updated the firmware and I can not elicit any response from the guys in Hak5 Support who have been ignoring my emails for the last 3 weeks or more. 

Just_a_User  gave me some great advice when I was attempting to update my first BashBunny and the update then went without any problems.  

Let me know how the update goes for you will you please. 

MM

• Like 1