Recon freezes at 100%

Zylla

Hi there.
I upgraded to 1.1.2 just recently, and have been experiencing some issues with Recon. It freezes at 100%, without any results showing. I'm also forced to press stop, regardless of the timer i set.
The strange thing is that it occasionally works! But that's like 1/20 times.

While i was debugging it, i noticed that /tmp/recon-$scanID was empty.
So i tried to execute the Recon command manually over SSH, and got this output:

root@nano:~# pinesniffer wlan1mon 15 0 /tmp/recon-test_15
[*] Pinesniffer started on wlan1mon, running for 15 seconds
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
  what():  basic_string::erase
Aborted

root@nano:~# pinesniffer wlan1mon 30 0 /tmp/recon-test_30
[*] Pinesniffer started on wlan1mon, running for 30 seconds
Aborted

When i attempt to run the command on my Tetra it works as expected, and the temp file contains the correct output.

lmao... i tried to copy the pinesniffer binary from my Pineapple Tetra over to my Pineapple Nano, because i saw their filesize differed a bit, and i know they can run the same executables.
And now it's working as intended!

I get no errors when i execute it over SSH, and it's output in the web-interface is now displaying as intended!

Edited by Zylla

Just a heads-up. The binary i copied from my Tetra was for version 1.1.0. (The one that works)
The same problem happens on my Tetra when  i upgrade it to version 1.1.1!

Here's a output from my upgraded Pineapple Tetra (1.1.1)

root@tetra:/tmp# pinesniffer wlan1mon 15 2 /tmp/recon-test
[*] Pinesniffer started on wlan1mon, running for 15 seconds
Aborted

Edited by Zylla

Zylla,

Thank you again for bringing this to my attention. There have been a couple of interesting bugs with the new Recon mode, but I was sure I had caught them all. I was finally able to reproduce this bug by taking off the antennas, wrapping the WiFi Pineapple in tin foil, putting it into a microwave, and shutting the door.

The issue was hard to reproduce because I had a lot of WiFi Traffic in all the places I have available to test in right now. The actual cause of the issue was a string::pop_back() not being safe to use on empty strings in the OpenWRT version of g++. That's what I get for trusting my compiler :)

The issue only happened when there was a lack of clients, and would only randomly happen. I have fixed it and will release a firmware upgrade with this fix and an exciting new feature in the next couple of days, so stay tuned and thank you again.

A microwave actually! That explains why it was working just fine at my office, and not at home (where i do most of these tests.)
I live quite far from the city, and the only wifi traffic here is mine. So that's probably why i was experiencing it almost all the time then.

Well i'm glad you managed to figure it out! Looking forward to the update :)