Does the WiFi Pineapple Tetra Basic Edition have a MicroSD slot?

Enigma83

I was checking out the Hak5 shop, looking to buy a new gizmo so that I can get involved in more depth with Linux distros like Kali, BackBox, BlackArch, learning pentesting etc. I'm relatively new to Linux, have dabbled with it for years but never got serious about learning it until very recently. Hacking is a topic that has been a fascination of mine since I discovered computers as a child.

I was comparing the different Pineapple editions, and it looks like the Tetra Basic is the best best. I wanted something more advanced than the most basic Pineapple currently available, but don't need the EDC case.

I did notice that the Tetra Basic has 2GB of onboard flash storage, but no mention of a MicroSD slot was made. I like that the TB has dual discrete dual-band radios, but if it lacks MicroSD, then I have no incentive to buy. The lesser model Pineapple Nano Tactical appears to only have 2 radios which aren't dual band-capable, but advertises a MicroSD. I would love to be able to stick a MicroSD in there knowing I have plenty of space for modules and updates.

Thanks for any advice!

The WiFi Pineapple TETRA does not have a micro SD card slot. It does have a female USB port that can be used to extend storage.

I can say though, that under normal operation, you will not need more than the 2gb.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

• 3 years later...
On 4/19/2016 at 4:38 PM, Sebkinne said:

The WiFi Pineapple TETRA does not have a micro SD card slot. It does have a female USB port that can be used to extend storage.

I can say though, that under normal operation, you will not need more than the 2gb.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

So, I have a USB drive connected, formatted, recognized and mounted in the system on my Tetra.  The feature I really appreciate on the NANO is that with the modules on the SD Card, any firmware upgrades do not impact the modules and therefore I do not have to re-download every module upon flashing the firmware.  I would like to do that as well on my Tetra.  Can I do that with an external USB drive and if yes, how would that be done?  My resources currently look like this where the /external_disk is the USB drive:

Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                    1.8G      1.9M      1.8G   0% /
/dev/root                12.5M     12.5M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    61.4M    128.0K     61.3M   0% /tmp
/dev/ubi0_1               1.8G      1.9M      1.8G   0% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay        1.8G      1.9M      1.8G   0% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
/dev/sda                 56.8G     51.8M     53.9G   0% /eternal_disk

7 hours ago, michaelkrogstad said:

So, I have a USB drive connected, formatted, recognized and mounted in the system on my Tetra.  The feature I really appreciate on the NANO is that with the modules on the SD Card, any firmware upgrades do not impact the modules and therefore I do not have to re-download every module upon flashing the firmware.  I would like to do that as well on my Tetra.  Can I do that with an external USB drive and if yes, how would that be done?  My resources currently look like this where the /external_disk is the USB drive:

/dev/sda                 56.8G     51.8M     53.9G   0% /eternal_disk

So, I found one of my issues...should be external_disk, not eternal_disk.  Made that change and in testing a module download, there was a quick flash to ask to save it someplace but it went away.  Is there a switch or config parameter that needs changing?  Or does the location need changing?

TIA,

Michael

7 hours ago, michaelkrogstad said:

So, I found one of my issues...should be external_disk, not eternal_disk.  Made that change and in testing a module download, there was a quick flash to ask to save it someplace but it went away.  Is there a switch or config parameter that needs changing?  Or does the location need changing?

I'm curious as to why you need more than 2gb. What are you doing that needs 50+GB? Very long term deployment?

So, my need isn't so much for space as much as it is for the portability.  On my WIFI Pineapple Nano, I have in it a MicroSD.  There I have loaded my modules.  Anytime I need to upgrade the firmware, like from 2.0 to 2.5.4, the process flashes the image in that ends up wiping out any modules loaded on the device.  With them being on the MicroSD, I do not have to download again all my modules with any that have dependencies.  Re-downloading is just time-consuming.  The WIFI Pineapple Tetra does not have a MicroSD slot, but instead has a USB slot.  My goal was to use that USB slot to load the modules into so that I do not have to download and reconfigure modules when I flash the firmware.  The size doesn't matter, I just used a drive I had that was small enough physically to do what I needed, just happened to be a 64GB drive.  The concept is what I am trying to get working.

I did try something else by renaming the mount point to be like in the Nano and so I have it look like below.  The screen did flash momentarily to ask about internal or external storage but I couldn't select an option.  So still trying to find out how to do this configuration.

/dev/sda                 56.8G     51.8M     53.9G   0% /sd

Archived