see what my children are doing on our family PC

JeremyS

I've been suspecting lately that my kids are looking at some "illegal" sites online. i installed a web blocker on the computer, but i think they may be finding loopholes. I'd like to install some monitoring program to see what's going on, if you have any ideas, plz tell me. Purchased ones will be Okay.

Here's a thought: talk to them about it

Anything else would just prove to your kids that you're not a trustworthy person, which I think for a parent is kinda bad...

Talk about it with them. If you really need a monitoring program then there are some. Just Google it and you'll get a list. Also Microsoft offers their own program. (Windows Live Family Safety)

I think the whole "have a talk with your children" thing is a card a little over-played, especially (and I am not saying who does or doesn't - just speaking to generalities) by people who do not have children. With ISPs threatening to shut off internet due to "piracy" I think it warrants a much closer look at what is going on than just having a chat with your children. As Churchill said, "trust but verify."

Windows Family Safety stinks. I have not been able to manage one of my computers for weeks because Live states it is not available, the time limits often get confused about what time they are supposed to shut off (both amount of screentime and curfew settings). I think one of the easiest ways to manage this is to simply use OpenDNS. They are free (cheap if you want more control) and if your kids are circumventing this (good on them, they might have a chance) then try harder.

Talking with your children about online safety is a good start.

Also how old are they? If they are young enough, unsupervised browsing is a BAD idea.

Most family security software is terrible to be honest. You could just setup a whitelist of web sites on your router for a quick and easy way of doing it.

Edited by Rkiver

@rubberducky0548: I'd say that's too easy to circumvent - define an alternate DNS and you're done. I wouldn't be surprised if spyware did that. Use an HTTP proxy of sorts and deny a default route out of the network. You might not see the actual traffic, but you'll reliably see the hosts that are being accessed.

@JeremyS: My point about talking to your kids... You're currently not confident your kids are behaving. Instead of talking to them about how you're worried, you seem to either want confront them using logs or to just straight-up restrict them even though they, in their mind, did nothing wrong, and nobody's there to provide a valid explanation why what they did was apparently wrong. In both cases, you're more a dick..tator than a parent.