PDA

Arsenic

Hi every-body! (hi Dr. Nick)

In January, I will be going to japan, and a few other countries for about 6 months. Being the geek that I am, I don't think I could bear leaving my laptop behind. So I figured that a decent PDA should be able to step up and take care of a few roles that I wanted t o use my laptop for. I wanted to ask everyone what your experiences have been with PDA's, and if you have any suggestions for me.

Features I'm looking for

-Able to read PDF's

-Browse the web

-WIFI, and Bluetooth

-maybe instant message

-VOIP

(I know it's a long shot, but it would be awesome if I could run a VOIP application. This one is critical, in deciding whether or not I'll just take my laptop instead.)

Thanks guys

Speaking as a PDA user i personally think you'd be better off taking a small laptop. You could buy a small decent laptop for not much more and would be able to do a lot more with it.

PDAs are gimmicks in my opinion and seeming what the functionality of some phones are these days have little extra that is worth anything.

Laptop all the way.

Features I'm looking for

-Able to read PDF's

No problems there.

-Browse the web

It can be done, but if the page is not specifically formated for mobile use it is very annoying. Even when it is, I still find it to be more trouble than it's worth.

-WIFI, and Bluetooth

Most of the new models that I have seen come with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth standard.

-maybe instant message

It can be done, I tried it with the on screen keyboard, didn't care for it that much. Maybe if you have a thumbboard it would be better. You may want to look into a cell phone that supports IM, but that is a whole other can of worms.

-VOIP

I know that Skype has a Windows Mobile edition but I never tried it out.

You can do a lot with a PPC, just depends on your mind set, what you are willing to put up with and adapt to.

I have been using a Dell X5 since they came out, years later it is still solid as a rock. I have heard that the newest one, x51 I think, is nice also. On the lines of the HP/Compaq, they have always made good PDA's (as far as I know that is) and I read an article recently about the newest one being nice.

Check out http://www.mobilitysite.com and http://www.aximsite.com for more information.