Extension cable for WIFI antenna

zogthegreat

Hi everyone!

I have a ALFA AWUS036NHA with the AR9271 chipset and a 13 dBi antenna. I'm trying to run the antenna outside my RV to reduce signal interference. I bought and extension cable on eBay like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271723497124?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

howerver, for some reason, I'm getting a worse signal than when I have the antenna inside! I did some testing and it seems that the signal is not passing through the cable.Can anyone suggest a good extension cable or some kind of small signal booster?

Thanks!

zog

The best way to do this would be to mount the alfa outside in a weatherproof container, and use a powered usb extension cable.

Thanks for your help barry99705.

Not really the solution that I was looking for, but if it works, what the hey. I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BearExtender-Premium-16-Feet-USB-to-USB-mini-Extension-Cable-Extra-Power-BE16USB-/261890243019?hash=item3cf9dff9cb:g:oD0AAOSwl8NVV31z

Do you think that it would be good enough?

The reason that I would like a cable as opposed to a USB cable is that I could then roof mount the antenna's for my wifi repeater. Do to health reasons, I'm living full time in a 36' motorhome, traveling around North America trying to find a place where my allergies aren't crazy. The trouble with RV parks is all of the aluminium from the various motorhomes and trailers cause a lot of signal scatter. Being able to roof mount 2 or 3 antennas would help to reduce this problem.

BTW, do you think that running a powered USB extension cable through a good quality powered USB hub would help boost the signal even more? Or how about something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comfast-Power-Amplifier-Adapter-for-USB-Extension-Cable-Wi-Fi-WLAN-Booster-NEW-/161922618871?hash=item25b35715f7:g:x94AAOSwJcZWdSSn

I could get two, for both plugs.

Thanks again

Edited by zogthegreat

No. You want something like this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DMFB5OK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1451320023&sr=8-2Ï€=SY200_QL40&keywords=powered+usb+cable&dpPl=1&dpID=41bRafBW5cL&ref=plSrch

You want to try to keep your antenna connection as short as possible. This way your antenna is directly attached. You can make an enclosure out of white pic pipe with a cap on the end. Just get a piece that is big enough in diameter to fit the alfa. Glue the cap on one end and get a screw type fitting for the other end. Drill a hole in the screw plug big enough to fit the usb end through and seal it back up with some silicone. Then you can attach this to your roof wherever and run the usb back to your computer.

The usb has nothing to do with signal. It has a length limit, that's why we have to get one with a repeater (1 port hub) built in.

Edited by barry99705

Do you guys think that I could repurpose this box that I had already made for my antenna's?

wifi_1a.jpg

wifi_2.jpg

(The different size antenna's are from when I was testing).

I could pop the chip out of the Alfa case so that it would fit inside. I would be worried about heat in such a tight space, I'm in central Florida right now and it's 88 outside right now. I don't mind building a new box, but I would hate to waste the work.

I would pop the Alfa out of its box and try to fit the print in your box. Make holes if the heat worries you and just use the (mumble)SMA connector to connect it up. I think size-wise it would fit.