Torrential Turtle!

telot

Not seeing much new stuff in the turtle world lately, so I thought I'd show you guys a trick I cooked up this afternoon. Its a pretty silly hack, but hey why not.

While I'm not necessarily sure why anyone would do this, I thought I'd post proof positive that it can be done.

With sshfs active (I have mine going to /sshfs) to your home server, in the cli:

opkg update
opkg install screen
opkg install rtorrent

Start up screen with...screen...then

rtorrent -n -d /sshfs/ LegalLinuxDistro.torrent

Start up the torrent by selecting it with the arrow keys and hit Ctrl+s to start it up.

This way the torrent traffic is over whatever network you have your turtle dropped on and your own ISP only sees ssh traffic via sshfs! It's pretty slow, bottlenecked by the turtle's tiny proc, but as far as easy mode encrypted torrenting goes, its pretty slick.

Enjoy!

telot

• Upvote 3

Not seeing much new stuff in the turtle world lately, so I thought I'd show you guys a trick I cooked up this afternoon. Its a pretty silly hack, but hey why not.

While I'm not necessarily sure why anyone would do this, I thought I'd post proof positive that it can be done.

With sshfs active (I have mine going to /sshfs) to your home server, in the cli:

opkg updateopkg install screenopkg install rtorrent
Start up screen with...screen...then

rtorrent -n -d /sshfs/ LegalLinuxDistro.torrent

Start up the torrent by selecting it with the arrow keys and hit Ctrl+s to start it up.

This way the torrent traffic is over whatever network you have your turtle dropped on and your own ISP only sees ssh traffic via sshfs! It's pretty slow, bottlenecked by the turtle's tiny proc, but as far as easy mode encrypted torrenting goes, its pretty slick.

Enjoy!

telot

Pretty neat, would be sweet if it worked with the Tor module. Will test and update.

Thumbs up for coming up with the idea. How slow is it exactly in regards to download speed?

It's been about a week, so my memory is already failing me. I want to say I was seeing ~250KB/sec or so. Not bad, but not great either. This was on a 50Mb down connection downloading a VERY supported (and legal) linux distro. I let it run its course and it completed the download without fail or issue, so it seems stable enough. Glad you like it!

telot