single board computers. repeaters? throupup?

i8igmac

I can get the appeal, but the module is custom for them meaning they either need to make a stack of varying modules or they just found a way to make something cheap expensive again.

I think the connector is SO-DIMM rather than PCI.

The module holds CPU and memory, which is fine, but I don't get the SD slot. Why is this on the module? Very odd...

In my experience the ability to change out parts is never used, the (use of the) connector is proprietary and the combination is always much, MUCH bulkier and more expensive than an integrated solution.

i think i have made my decision on the humming board gate. The price is about 110$ that includes 25$ shipping fee... it will have onboard wireless N, mini pcie and also another option i have just discovered m.2 slot(ngff)

m.2(ngff) seems like a option almost identicle to mini pcie... ssd or wifi options... correct me if I'm wrong.

This board allows you to upgrade the microSOM, for future performance boost, ram, cpu, wifi... SOM=system on module... I believe they alsoprovide a beefy heatsink...

After I purchase a mini pci wireless n card, some sma connectors, sd card and power supply ill be way over budget... I had hopes to get this done under 100$

Here is the top and bottem of the humming board edge (my pick)

hummingboard-edge-components-top-1024x76

hummingboard-edge-components-bottom-1024

this is the hummingboard gate. Is another option but i find the one above has more to offer for my application... unless the microBus option can provide wireless N that works with all the favorite linux tools?

hummingboard-gate-components-top-1024x76

hummingboard-gate-components-bottom-1024

I might be missing something, but from where I'm sitting that SOM has, above and slightly to the right of the CPU chip, another one of those U.fl connectors for WIFI. Given that, why bother with your own wireless card again?

An important thing to note is that your network plug, while gigabit in nature, is limited to a theoretical 470MB/s (see the double-asterisk at the bottom of the specs page) due to the internal bus of the i.MX6 core they use.

Edited by cooper

Y3s. It is missing the gig Ethernet ;-(

my goal for this project is to have 2 wireless radios that will work with all the favorite linux tools that we all love...

Wlan0 WPA_suuplicant (out to internet)

Wlan1 hostapd (hotspot access point)

Essentially a wireless repeater... much like the wifi pineapple but debian based...

Given that I'd go for the PogoPlug
2x USB3, gigabit if you want to play with it and it runs Debian.

See also this post on tuning the thing and a bit more info.

ok... now where talk'n... hmm pogoplug pro has onboard wifi...

ill post 2 pictures i can find of the board... there are several models... one has onboard mini pcie for wifi !!!!

Pogoplug%2BV3.JPG

Pogoplug%2B%2BPro%2BPCIE%2BWireless%2BCa

Ok... now my goal here... zero cords hanging around the exterior... No visible usb/cords/hubs... Dual wifi radio cards that support wireless N speeds fit inside the Black plastic enclosure(hopefully)...

you can see the back of the board has a mini pcie slot with a wireless card already installed... and now for the installation of a second card...

idea #1...
what do you think about the 4 pin serial port on the font of the board... i have seen some usb hacks online to these pins... i could connect a usb wireless card to this pin?

idea#2
i could solder a usb wireless card directly to the back side of the usb port? (de solder the usb connector and solder directly to the board)

#1. Did you see where it labels the pins so you can connect to it? It reads GND/RXD/TXD/3.3v and as I'm sure you're aware USB doesn't use 3.3v. It also isn't serial in *that* way as far as I can tell.

#2. That would work and if you can handle it being attached UNDER the board you can keep the original connector in place. Normally the outer pins are power and ground and the inner ones are the data lines. Measure continuation between which pin and which of the connectors within the plug to determine which is which. You can probably just look it up too.

As for having everything contained within the box, do you know the side of this thing? The casing is a little over the width of a harddisk (the idea of the original product is you insert a harddisk which is then storage that gets shared with the network) so my advice to you would be to just make your own box. Work out what needs to be moved where to make it work but cleanliness should be trivially achieved once you've got the dimensions down. And again, you have two USB3.0 ports at your disposal. Why bother with PCIe at all??

• 3 weeks later...

i have just purchased and recieved a pogoplug... just installed debian... kinda of a pain because of all the outdated blogs and i wanted to post a working link...

first install uboot and then install the debian system

http://blog.qnology.com/2014/07/hacking-pogoplug-v4-series-4-and-mobile.html

apt-get install aircrack-ng <--- fail

apt-get install reaver worked lol

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/non-free/f/firmware-nonfree/?C=M;O=D

atheros-2016*.deb

wireless install

aircrack install,

https://scottlinux.com/2012/01/13/install-aircrack-ng-on-debian-linux/

install what ever is missing...

apt-get install libnl-dev

Edited by i8igmac

Euuuu. I have a pogoplug in one of my junk boxes. Horrible things. Flakey as hell.

did you install debian? the default firmware/software is crap... good concept but i read a lot of unhappy people...

a simple ftp server would replace the pogoplug software just fine...

so far i can see its potential, this device can supply power to lots of hard drives, so a few wireless cards is no porblem (i assume)

ill look into installing aircrack soon.

did you install debian? the default firmware/software is crap... good concept but i read a lot of unhappy people...

a simple ftp server would replace the pogoplug software just fine...

so far i can see its potential, this device can supply power to lots of hard drives, so a few wireless cards is no porblem (i assume)

ill look into installing aircrack soon.

Yep. Worked pretty well for about two weeks, then it corrupted the drive. I was going to use it as a low power wardriving box for my car.

That sounds more like a 'sporadically on' scenario rather than an stable 'always on' one. Causes could be anything from flaky power from your car (assuming you went that route) to simply unplugging the device when you're done rather than doing a clean halt. Those SD cards (and even USB plugs) can do funky things in such cases.

That sounds more like a 'sporadically on' scenario rather than an stable 'always on' one. Causes could be anything from flaky power from your car (assuming you went that route) to simply unplugging the device when you're done rather than doing a clean halt. Those SD cards (and even USB plugs) can do funky things in such cases.

Ran it off a small ups, so it wasn't power. A few of my clients are fire stations, so I set it up kinda the same way they have their trucks set up, just cheaper hardware. All their radios and whatnot run off a plugged in inverter when in the station, when they get a callout the cord gets pulled by the driver and everything switches over to the truck's batteries. I had a 12v car ups running in the trunk for the plug, or my laptop, whichever I was testing at the time. Ran a laptop that way for over a year and had no issues with it.

That is the p01? By mistake I got a e02...

mine does not have sata or mini pcie, does yours?

I purchased a 8gig ssd from Amazon I planned on trying to place the ssd inside the plastic case... the ssd was like. 10$ I planned on installing debian to the ssd...

• 9 months later...