Ways to securely wipe a drive?

vailixi

Also be careful you don't damage your microwave-emitting source (i.e. don't stick it in your microwave oven for very long if at all).

One thing I did consider was to take my passport which now comes with a fancy schmancy RFID chip and microwave that. All the data on the chip is also readable/visible from the paper/plastic of the passport and these things die a natural death every so often anyways. But your passport won't be read remotely by some prick with a scanner and the airport customs person will have to do 5 seconds more work to verify your credentials. Seems like a win-win for me.

Also be careful you don't damage your microwave-emitting source (i.e. don't stick it in your microwave oven for very long if at all).

One thing I did consider was to take my passport which now comes with a fancy schmancy RFID chip and microwave that. All the data on the chip is also readable/visible from the paper/plastic of the passport and these things die a natural death every so often anyways. But your passport won't be read remotely by some prick with a scanner and the airport customs person will have to do 5 seconds more work to verify your credentials. Seems like a win-win for me.

Unless it burns a hole in the cover. They tend to frown on that.

Also most newer microwaves handle metal in them pretty well. I know guys that smelt gold and silver in them.

Edited by barry99705

The chip will have long since died before burning through its protective cover.

I killed my now 10 years old microwave oven probably because the protective coating on a rack you place in there got worn off (I remember seeing a dim blue light on its edge). Fried the microwave part of the oven well and good and repairing it cost more than replacing it so... yeah. Just be careful, especially if you don't own the oven yourself. These things, particularly the good ones, don't come cheap.

I thought the smelting thing used the oven part but thinking about the temperatures involved that doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense.

I microwaves can be made to do a lot of things. There was a general rule of not putting metal in them. But then the inside of the cavity is made of metal. It has a lot to do with the amplitude of the magnetron generator it's proximity to the metal, the shape of the metal and it's position in the cavity. There's a lot more to it than just putting metal in there. I think with right oven you could completely melt the housing and possibly the platters. I'm just not that good at physics.