A sad day for my Mark V - over voltage

dwek

Hi all,

I accidently connected a 12 V DC supply to my Pineapple and started to smell funky - it smelt like it overheated.

Now when I connect the correct power supply, the lights do not turn on.

When I connect a USB external charger to the USB on the Pineapple, all the lights flash.

As I said... A sad day!

Is there anything I can do to replace parts on the PCB to recover the device or purchase a new board?

Other than purchasing a new device at the full price, is there any other options?

It's one of my favorite multi-function devices.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dwek

Yeah I have read many posts that say it can handle 12V, but the other PSU is definitely a 12V DC with the right polarization according to the label.

I'll check the other PSU with a multimeter and oscilloscope, but the supply is new and used with another Arduino board.

What kind of power supply did you use? Was it a regulated power supply?

A high current un-regulatated wall wart power supply can have an open circuit voltage of 16V or higher. You should never use an un-regulated power supply... unless you are 100% sure the device you are using it with can handle it.

I'm pretty sure you can't backfeed through USB to power the pineapple. I'm not sure why people think this is a possibility. It may work, but chances are you will break it.

I suspect you're right with the Mark V, it used to be possible with the old Pineapple. I used the USB many times from a USB battery and directly from a PC USB port.

I can imagine the current requirement and possibly the 9V DC source is more important with the Mark V.

What kind of power supply did you use? Was it a regulated power supply?

A high current un-regulatated wall wart power supply can have an open circuit voltage of 16V or higher. You should never use an un-regulated power supply... unless you are 100% sure the device you are using it with can handle it.

Regrettably I suspect this is the case here.

The PSU I used was for a Arduino board, but the intended board appears to have a some regulation.

I confirmed the output voltage of other supply on a 10M ohm probe and it is about 17.3V,although on a DC digital multimeter it is 12.5V.

I wonder if there is a CCT diagram available to see if I can replace any of the components to resurrect the device.