Transfer windows files to ubuntu

anarchtic

I want to install ubuntu with the cd my friend gave me its the newest 6.10 version, but i have files on my windows like alot of roms for emulators, i am wondering if there is a way i can install ubuntu and be able to get the files from windows and put them on my ubuntu, i hope u understand the question, by the way im doing this because i have no cds, please help

Mount the windows partition and copy the files. Do you know what partitions are on the hard drive?

If so, you should be able to do the following (other wise post the results of the command

cd /dev/ | grep hd

here).

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/hda<insert partition number here> /media/windows -o umask=555

Then you should see all the files off the windows partition in /media/windows

You can also find your Windows mount points this way:

dmesg | grep hd

Then, as root, create a directory you want to use when accessing your Windows files, like Sparda recommended.

mkdir /mnt/windows

or

mkdir /media/windows

Then, again as root, mount the partition (assuming your Windows partition is /dev/hda1).

mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/windows

As far as I know, writing to an NTFS partition is still considered experimental in Linux so if you don't want to take any chances with writing to, and potentially corrupting, your Windows parition you'll want to use the -r flag in your mount statement.

As far as I know, writing to an NTFS partition is still considered experimental in Linux so if you don't want to take any chances with writing to, and potentially corrupting, your Windows parition you'll want to use the -r flag in your mount statement.

Yes, writing to windows partitions is still iffy,but the -r flag won't enable write capabilities. NTFS writing isn't implemented in the default Ubuntu kernel, so to be able to write to NTFS partitions you have to recompile your kernel.

Yeah, the -r flag is for read-only so you won't accidentally write to the NTFS partition.

of course...

*bangs head on desk*

Note: It's actually

-o ro

for read only and

-o rw

for read-write, which won't work with the default Ubuntu kernel any way.

suddenly it seams very complicated. i'd just add this line to fstab

/dev/hda1       /mount/win           ntfs      user,auto     0   0

and then just

mkdir /mount/win

to mount it just (you dont need to be su if its in fstab)

mount /mount/win

or

mount /dev/hda

also the 'auto' should mount it at boot