Alfa Awus036H, strange behaviour and dropped connection

martyr

Hello everyone,

I have ordered Alfa Awus036H (RTL8187 chipset) about 1 week ago and still trying to make it working with Kali.
Let me explain the whole issue:

I have running Kali in my both desktop & laptop.
Kali is working under VMware environment also i have tested with Kali LiveCD to remove VM layer.

However, my connection is dropping every 1-2 minutes.
Actually connection drops on some actions like:
- Running ettercap
- Any ARP command
- Port scanning

My purpose is not dealing with WEP/WPA cracking, i would like to use Ettercap or other tools for ARP poisoning.

It looks like device is not responding at all, i have to re-plug it to USB.
And also, i have tested it on Windows, connection is really slow.

I have a TP-Link TL-WN722N also, trying to download 1000mb test file on both adapters (http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip)

TP-Link downloads with 3.4 MB/s

Alfa downloads with 250 kb/s

I have changed the USB cable with USB Y-cable, not changing anything.
I made further tests and plugged my TP-Link adapter (Atheros chipset) and everything seems fine.

There are mixed responses and solutions for my situtation, i have tried all. (Disabling network-manager, setting TX power, trying to install drivers which is unnecessary on Kali)
I am willing to order a new adapter if Alfa is really buggy on Kali (or any OS)

If you have a brand/model suggestion for ARP poisoning purposes, that would be great.

However, i would like to find a solution and the root of issue.
Any ideas on my situtation?
I can send detailed logs, even enable remote vnc or anything to resolve this.

Thank you all.

I own nha and the classic h, and currently looking to replace this device with a more stable usb adapter...
I feel I have tried everything...

I'm running raspberry pi as a long range repeater...

So, range maybe the actual problem, More effected by interference...

Dmesg shows usb disconnects after 500 Ms...

There are so many threads out there related to this one! I have tried a few drivers -Dwext -Dnl80211 and a few versions of ath9k_htc... I'm now on the hunt for a more stable adapter with a removable antenna

Edit, some test/tools i have been using...

mtr 192.168.0.1 (testing watch for packet loss with the destination router)a Must watch

iperf can test your actual max badwidth with a local machine... you can try this test on the localrouter

iperf -c 192.168.0.1 -f M -p 22

10.0 sec 6129496063 MBytes 612924783 MBytes/sec

the ssh service running on port 22 will not respond with the actual badwidth, ssh will only respond as quick as the software is capable...

if you have another machine on the network, you can then test 2 machines with iperf

iperf -s -p 666

iperf -c 192.168.96.100 -f M -p 666

Edited by i8igmac

Can you open wireshark and run a capture from the card in monitor mode and managed mode, capturing both interfaces and check for deauth packets? Maybe someone in your area is knocking you off the network, or you just have weak signal to the AP/interference?

Hello,

@digip: Well this is not a signal issue i guess, because i am testing realtime with my other adapter TL-WN722N which is REALLY small, tiny adapter. Works x5 better than AWUS036H.

@Cooper: Thanks for the link. Seems AWUS036NHA is the best choice between Alfa products :)

Hello,

@digip: Well this is not a signal issue i guess, because i am testing realtime with my other adapter TL-WN722N which is REALLY small, tiny adapter. Works x5 better than AWUS036H.

@Cooper: Thanks for the link. Seems AWUS036NHA is the best choice between Alfa products :)

Nha is a good device, there are reported problems, i experience a large amounts of usb disconnects/500ms...

all over Amazon reviews and online forums!

Thanks to the link Cooper shared, rnx-600ub maybe my next purchase, I'm looking for long-term connectivity... dissconnects are getting old and frustrating

The nha does Show a low signal strength but still has great speeds

• 2 weeks later...