Remote access without public ip

Darkshadow2913

So im stuck over here in aus on nbn (good) but with telstra the isp (bad), they dont assign public ip's unless you agree to pay them another 20$ a month....

Is there a way for me to get remote access into my network without using a public ip and it has to be simple as im looking at some major project across all platforms?

Edited by Darkshadow2913

Do you mean that they don't provide static IPs (using dynamical assigned IPs is common practice for ISPs) or do you mean that you're getting an IP in a private range 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12 or 192.168.0.0/16?

If the former then you can just use a dynamic dns service (https://ydns.eu/ seems to be pretty reliable). If the latter then you either need them to do some port forwarding or come up with a more complicated solution (you could do it with some of the free IPv6 tunnel/routing services but if you haven't any IPv6 experience then it would take quite a bit of work to get reliable)

Well sortof Its all done at the network level, and the router itself gets an ip that is basically within another ip

Private -> NBN peeps -> the public ip

My nbn peeps and i all share the same ip basically and all ports are blocked at the isp's level

And some ipv6 tunneling to get potentially get port forwarding... hmm seems pratical enough, except this isp also restricts what router i can use #voiceservices so is it possible to do the ipv6 tunnel on the client?

If you can SSH out, you can use an SSH tunnel for specific socks enabled things such as browsers(if you have access to your own site for example with ssh/shell access) using PuTTy, or, you can try using a VPN service, which lets all devices flow through the VPN, which can in most cases, be setup on the router to enable all devices to flow over the VPN, which is also nice since everything gets encrypted until your exit point of the VPN.

The best way to go about this would depend on what machines you are planning to connect in with. If you want other people to connect or you want to connect from public machines then it would be difficult, but if you just want to be able to connect in with your laptop then a tunnel of some sort should do the job fine. Another question is, are you comfortable with using SSH tunnels or would a full VPN be an easier long term solution.

A possible solution could be to make an SSH server or VPN server on your local network available as a tor hidden service (as long as you can run tor on the machines you wish to connect from).

Of course the easiest solution would be to switch to provider that doesn't limit you so much :)

You can use an sshe forwarder too which can send back to you over the ssh tunnel. Darren covered it a few seasons back I think too. Search the episodes.