Rooting a cellphone

fugu

I know this is probably a more basic question, but what is the popular opinion on the best method on how to root a cellphone? I've looked into one click programs, but usually they are not open source. Any one know of other ways to root a phone?

Rooting which cellphone? Which make? Which model? Is it a specific model to a carrier?

Which OS is on the phone? Which version of the OS?

You see you have asked one very generic question.

Quite simply, it depends on the phone.

I was talking about in general, but I have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I've read that Samsung now locks their bootloaders now so its impossible to install a custom bootloader, which i guess is one way to root a phone. I'd be nice if phones were more like computers, that you don't have to fight it to make it do what you want.

In general does not work, for all the reasons I listed previously. There are too many makes, models, versions for a catch all answer.

If you want to know how to root a specific phone, XDA developers is usually your best bet.

I know its probably elementary, and we constantly tell people to look first, but the number of questions we get that are like literally a few google results down, we should have one sticky post for this forum section that is just that. "How to XYZ" With one answer - google:

how to "insert your question here before asking".