Internet service in tall buildings.

badbass

Has anyone had any issues or repeated service calls to go to for this kind of problem. I want to push the problem on the ISP. If you have a call to go to in a highrise that is 13 floors high and has a lot of tenants. I feel as there could be service related problems with signal on the cable companies end. Everyone has wifi I try to find the least used channel of 1,6,or 11. If there wireless router is more than 5 years old I mention it might be time to replace there router. What is the best direction to go in this situation?

How is it the cable companies fault that each tenant in a crowded area has Wifi, resulting in massive interference?

If the router is a piece of shit that doesn't go to the least-crowded channel automagically, show the tenant how to switch manually and if that's too much work for them they should either ask the ISP to (help them) replace their router, or call someone like you up for service which presumably doesn't come free either.

I'm in an 8 story appartment building. Being the somewhat paranoid type though, when this place was built I made sure all rooms had extra pipes put in so I could pull my own wires. Every room except for the bathroom, the hallway and the toilet has 2 wired network ports in the wall. I only have Wifi for my phone, tablet and visitors. If it's spotty... meh. Either plug in or just grab a real system.

Hey you are cool, the wireless can be fixed. The signal on the cable line is another story. This is what I was wondering about. Has anyone had a problem in tall buildings with low signal on the cable line. Low enough to cause your modem to drop a connection or cable light to go out. When you are 9 or 12 floors up and have a low signal on your cable tv line this is what causes some problems. The cable company should put a signal amplifier in. Again cooper you are cool.

The cable company should have a guy to come out and measure things to make sure things are on the up-and-up. They do so here. If you get shitty signal, you call 'em up and they fix it, one way or the other.

My parents used to have problems with their TV signal being shit. An annoying amount of static would seep through. It was bad enough that it bothered them to the point where they called the cable company. They sent some guy over who measured the line up the wazoo and basically wanted to leave saying "I've looked things over and everything's A-OK". At which point my parents sat him down in front of their TV, put on a channel and asked "Does that look A-OK to you?". All sorts of hardware got brought in to fix the problem including some sort of 4-way amplifying splitter or whatever. Amplified the signal out of existance so on to the next bit of tech. They returned 3 times that week to 'quickly finish the job' and coming up empty. Eventually someone tweaked something in a box up the road and suddenly everything was fine.

Other anecdote. The mother of my girlie at the time lived in an appartement in one of those huge concrete blocks. You know the depressing type. Low-income housing. Anyways, she lived on the top floor and apparently the guy living below her cancelled his cable service since he had a dish, and since he and the cable company had a bit of a disagreement about the remaining bill the guy completely ripped out the cable from his apparement, including the bit that ran from the tenant below him to that above him. End result: the woman had no service whatshowever. Didn't take them long to figure out what the problem was, but getting it sorted was a bit involved. It seemed the guy wasn't too keen on the cable company guys being in his house...

I'm in an 8 story appartment building. Being the somewhat paranoid type though, when this place was built I made sure all rooms had extra pipes put in so I could pull my own wires. Every room except for the bathroom, the hallway and the toilet has 2 wired network ports in the wall. I only have Wifi for my phone, tablet and visitors. If it's spotty... meh. Either plug in or just grab a real system.

Hell, I have a 16 port switch on my bathroom. Washer, dryer, shower, toilet, sink, hairdryer, electric razor, etc. Hardwired is better...lol

Another thing to look into is non electrical interference, in older building such as those made of brick that may have steal rebar in the wall, or a high-rise that will use steal beam and in some cases other elements in the wall they can act as a cage stopping signal from coming through. This can been in may cases in public buildings like schools ect. it will also cause problems with cellphones ect. It is quite Possible that this might be the case if this appears to happen to all the tenants of the building.