Is anyone from Hak5 out at Burning Man?

ChrisKnight

I'm having serious stability issues setting up a Mark V as a wifi relay (client mode + AP mode). I'll make someone the best bloody mary* or margarita** they've ever had for help getting the kinks ironed out.

I set up the rig Wednesday, but it keeps crashing. I'm running version 2.0.3. It's a super simple setup, so I'm kinda perplexed. I'll be back on the playa on Saturday, and will be there through Friday.

Ghostwheel

The Outback - 4:20 & Walk-In

* Bloody Mary's made with Whore's Radish Vodka, and Gar Lick Vodka

** Margarita made with home made organic key lime sweet and sour.

Right now their are bugs many people might claim its stable but i highly doubt it.

I've made a video showing people how to setup client mode not that im saying you don't know how to do it when im helping people i normally have them follow my videos fully that way i know i can rule out that they are not doing something wrong.

I'd recommend you check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoYm8OGllhE

Yup, watched your video. Well done, and great for newbs, but somewhat drawn out for more advanced users. :)

During initial setup, I have no problem connecting to the remote AP in client mode. I'm able to pass packets for a while, DNS resolution works, and all is well. At some point in the next 10 to 60 minutes, my laptop stops being able to connect to the internet. I check, and I still have a wifi connection to the Pineapple. I log into the pineapple, and in the client mode tab I am connected to the remote AP but don't have an IP address.

I've had 50% success rate auto-reconnecting by going to the advanced tab and randomizing my MAC address.

I've had 100% success auto-reconnecting with a power cycle, but then the problem just returns in 10 to 60 minutes.

So, are you saying I frak'd myself by upgrading to 2.0.3 just before packing it up and taking it to the playa? Are the older versions downloadable anywhere?

This has to be a bug some where still in the network infusion that they thought they fixed i face this problem myself but normally its after its been running longer then a day. What i like to do is setup my pineapple as a honeypot and give internet on it and let it run and normally the next day when i check it it appears the pineapple is connected to that router but can't access the internet.

You're not the only having a problem with internet not working after the pineapple has been connected to a network via the client mode.

Do you know if this problem is limited to the 2.x version? I downloaded the 1.2.0-factory.bin file and upgrade-1.4.1.bin last night. I'll climb our comm tower to flit the factory reset switch if it will solve things, but if 1.4.1 has the same issue I might as well pack a more stable solution before making a six hour trek into the desert.

EDIT: it is now 2:28 PM EST on Saturday im am posting this connected to my MKV using my router to give internet to the MKV via WiFi with Firmware 1.2.0 with no installed infusions and have all the updates installed that were out for 1.2.0 Sunday around this time i will post an update if the internet is still working on the MKV

-----

It's been a problem since 1.2.0 from what i can tell if you go flash the MKV with 1.2.0 and login to the pineapple and check the updates you can see they released a so called fix for the network feature i don't believe it was fixed or if it was fixed it is now broken in 2.0.2

Personally i haven't tested to see if its fixed on 1.2.0 by just updated the fixes or not i've been lazy recently However before Saturday is over i will factory flash and update just the fixes it shows under the pineapple bar and let it run all night till i wake up Sunday and see.

Edited by ZaraByte

I hope the mk5 will be perfected not only for firmware issues but also for mitm auditing as well. Don't get me wrong I love the idea behind the pineapple and PineAP but i believe that it has fallen behind due to the change in the wifi landscape from vendors. (Which isn't hak5's fault)

It seems we are a kitten trying to catch a radioactive mouse on steroids.

Hopefully Darren, Seb, and the rest of the hak5 team have a plan to overcome these giant mice.

Edited by damavox

Okay it's now Sunday Pineapple has been running since 2:28 PM EST on Saturday it's now Sunday 11:53 AM EST Pineapple still appears to be giving internet using 1.2.0 with just the network update that was out for 1.2.0 no infusions are install on the MKV but internet appears to be working fine right now abit slow also the infusion title is not loading tried refeshing 6 times rebooted my tablet still the infusions don't load on 1.2.0 but the internet is working.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried downgrading to factory-1.2.0.bin on the playa, but the un-brick procedure wasn't working. I powered off, set the fifth dip to down, powered on, and at no time over the next two hours was a web page available at http://192.168.1.1 (Yes, I had set my mac's ethernet to be 192.168.1.2/24)

Going to try again, now that I'm in the default world. I have to say, my experience trying to set up the MKV as a simple wifi NAT/relay was very disappointing. Good thing I didn't order ten of these for work like my manager had originally suggested.

I tried downgrading to factory-1.2.0.bin on the playa, but the un-brick procedure wasn't working. I powered off, set the fifth dip to down, powered on, and at no time over the next two hours was a web page available at http://192.168.1.1 (Yes, I had set my mac's ethernet to be 192.168.1.2/24)

Going to try again, now that I'm in the default world. I have to say, my experience trying to set up the MKV as a simple wifi NAT/relay was very disappointing. Good thing I didn't order ten of these for work like my manager had originally suggested.

Let us know if you cannot fix it by sending an email to shop@hak5.org.

Mind you, we didn't create the WiFi Pineapple to be a repeater. It wasn't designed with that in mind.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

Mind you, we didn't create the WiFi Pineapple to be a repeater. It wasn't designed with that in mind.

This is what I call splitting hairs. From the page at: https://wifipineapple.com

From a man-in-the-middle hot-spot honeypot to an out-of-band pentest pivot box, the WiFi Pineapple is unmatched in performance, value and versatility.

I was using in a MITM configuration (Client mode to a remote AP on wlan1, local AP running on wlan0) but just wasn't running any attack/logging tools. It was a " man-in-the-middle hot-spot honeypot" with the safety on. The website does say it was designed for this, and even more aggressive, usage.

This is what I call splitting hairs. From the page at: https://wifipineapple.com

I was using in a MITM configuration (Client mode to a remote AP on wlan1, local AP running on wlan0) but just wasn't running any attack/logging tools. It was a " man-in-the-middle hot-spot honeypot" with the safety on. The website does say it was designed for this, and even more aggressive, usage.

Using wlan1 isn't the only way to give the WiFi Pineapple MKV internet. In fact, it is a feature we threw in the week before we launched it.

We advise people to use wlan2 / ethernet / 3g modems instead.

Best Regards,

Sebkinne

How is Darren setting up the Pineapple mesh network with point-to-point links? He demos this in season 15 of the Hak5 show.

I just recently ordered a Mark V to do this (bridging a wifi network over some distance) so I don't have one to test out various things yet.

Are you sure there isn't a channel conflict (wlan0 and wlan1 on same channel)? I'm assuming you'd be using a high-gain directional antenna (panel, yagi, etc) for wlan1 and a dipole on wlan0 for the hotspot. This should help mitigate any intereference.

Have you tried disabling wlan0 and connecting a machine directly to eth0? If that is stable, throw on a switch with 2-3 computers or put up an access point to see if it remains stable.

Failing that, I'd try putting an Alfa AWUS036NHA on usb and see if it stays connected.

In my particular config, I was in the middle of nowhere, so using eth0 wasn't an option. I had a directional antenna pointed at a remote AP, and an omni providing local coverage. They were on different channels, and the directional antenna was getting a 70/70 on signal strength.

After several days of having the network randomly crashing, I pulled a couple of Ubiquiti Networks Bullets out of my toolkit and those worked like a charm on the same antennas.

What I mean by using eth0 was to have a 6-10ft cat5 from the pineapple that is in client mode going a laptop to see if it stays connected. That would isolate wlan0 from the setup.

Even if something isn't believed to be the cause, I always try to make the simplest setup when troubleshooting. After a setup has proven to work, then start adding more components/complexities. I've even seen "known good" components that don't work in other "known good" systems when working with RF, so I always like to start small.