SDR police scanner

So after a few hours i finally got this to work. Using SDR#, unitrunker and DSD+ with a plugin for unitrunker and SDR# it works very well. You really need two dongles to get this to work right but one works well but following channels is a little hard. I followed a few tutorials and modified them a little to what my setup was. The how to's will be below. Happy scanning!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4347574/hack5/scanner.png IMG

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-radio-scanner-tutorial-decoding-digital-voice-p25-with-dsd/

Good to hear that you have it working...well done

This is one thing on my todo list, I miss listening in on the police with my scanner, hear in Australia they went P25 about 7 years ago, I had just forked out over $1000 for a top line uniden scanner when they shut us out....bugger

I have a question, in your area, are they just using the standard P25, or are they adding the encryption option on the channels as well for extra security ( they doing that here on some channels ).

How well is it working...

Keen to hear some more feed back on this path with SDR

Good to hear that you have it working...well done

This is one thing on my todo list, I miss listening in on the police with my scanner, hear in Australia they went P25 about 7 years ago, I had just forked out over $1000 for a top line uniden scanner when they shut us out....bugger

I have a question, in your area, are they just using the standard P25, or are they adding the encryption option on the channels as well for extra security ( they doing that here on some channels ).

How well is it working...

Keen to hear some more feed back on this path with SDR

What i can do is record some tomorrow. its mostly good and as far as encryption goes yes but DSD+ decodes this also if im right. As far as how good its decent for one dongle. You really need to two for it to be better. Normally you use one for the control channel to get the info and lock it there and use the other to change between the channels. SInce im using one i am missing some of the voice and conversation but im ordering another soon to use it as a police scanner. Im sure if you get a proper antenna for the 800 mhz range it will work better.

• 3 weeks later...

I figured a second SDR would be needed. I tried this on my own without any luck. I think it really depend on location, and if they are encrypted. I found that looking online for Policy Scanner Streams (while delayed) was a bit easier, but whats the fun in that unless you really need something quick.

Would be interesting to hear the difference once you have the second SDR for control.