need some help

thechosenone

i am a complete newbie when it comes to hacking/modding something( i modded a xbox and a 360 thats it) so if i could please get some help from you guys on getting started....such as like what linux bootable cds i should have or just general materials....i have ubuntu linux but thats it:(please help

Well, personally I like Suse because its pretty much open source windows and FreeBSD because its just so powerful & its just so easy to use.

However, there is a shit load more to hacking than just running Cool Program X. I wouldn't even say *nix (meaning linux, *bsd and unix like operating systems) is a hacker tool, its just a different platform to run your computer from.

http://hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=913

Being a hacker takes lots of creativity, problem solving and reading, otherwise you won't know how to use the tools people are suggesting.

Now you seem fairly enthusiastic but I will say that you won't just 'become' a hacker over night (although from yourlast post you do appeciate that to some degree), you'll need to read your ass off, you learn everything you get the opportunity to even if you don't think you need to. Playing is generall learning for hackers so learning becomes fun. Everything you learn is something you can potentially use somewhere along the line.

Problem solving skills are a must and you must never be afraid to tamper with equipment *you own* but don't get in the law's way. If you do cross the law, know your way around it as best you can, know your rights, know what you did and why, know how you can wriggle out of it.

Don't take unnecessary risks but don't be afraid to try things, it's a fine balance but it very often pays off.

Don't try to measure yourself as a good or bad hacker, coder, designer or anything. Let other people do that but learn when you are well within your rights to pump up your ego for a while, know when you've really accomplished something that's an acheivement to you. Don't let people put you down if it's a big deal to you unless they give you reasons to. You don't need to know how good you are, you just need to know your abilities, your strengths, your limits and weaknesses.

I know these points apply to me but while I cannot vouch for the other members of this community I suspect some of them share these views.

Welcome to Hak.5, welcome to the community and welcome to our world.

Good luck on your journey and may you learn a crapload.

Get a decent knife, and some decent screw drivers. You'd be amazed how useful a decent knife can be. And again, its not about having the cool tools, its about how you think, using an empty beer can as a GPU heatsink, a butter knife to disemble a CD player or a fork to open a door.

Get a decent knife, and some decent screw drivers. You'd be amazed how useful a decent knife can be. And again, its not about having the cool tools, its about how you think, using an empty beer can as a GPU heatsink, a butter knife to disemble a CD player or a fork to open a door.

Oh man, how many times have I done that? Screwdrivers are always hiding when you need them most so improvisation is a *very* useful skill...

I think it was a spoon last time I had to open a door though (no, seriously...)

That was after I had to go to the living room to steal the door handle (it was a friend's place, or his parent's place more accurately) because someone got stuck in the toilet with no door handle...

We were all drunk and disorderly, the handle is still not back on the living room door at the right angle to this very day and apparently his mother was sitting in the living room while I stole the handle. Ho-hum.

ya for sure....ca you give me some simple materials i should have just for every day hacking of devices or making new things?

This thread has a ton of tools/devices that are useful depending on your skill level and goal in mind. Have a read through and you'll get the idea. Have a good look at Metatron's. Most of that stuff you'll never use but it's nice to just drool at the posibilities.

My fav. tool for modding stuff: A Dremel. Cuts just about everything and easy to use. Just be sure to wear shop goggles.

http://www.hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=backpack

My fav. tool for modding stuff: A Dremel. Cuts just about everything and easy to use. Just be sure to wear shop goggles.

http://www.hak5.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t...hlight=backpack

Ohhhh hell yeah, I've almost taken my eyes out a few times with shattering cutting discs and such, be very careful with those things... a mask and goggles are always advised.