MARK 5 on HP mini note running windows 7 starter

Swamppifi

Hi all

Well while I had my Mark 5 since its launch, I have only managed to play with it the last week as I am on holidays....yes I know...slack....

Anyway I have just spent the last 24 hours trying to work out why I can't get it to work on my HP mini note 210 1000 which is running Windows 7 Starter, now I know this is suppose to be a cut down version , and I have patched it to allow you to change wall paper now, but what I didn't know, is the fact that it doesn't have internet sharing.......

I could connect my broswer to the pineapple, but couldn't connect to the bar, no internet

I could connect to the internet as normal by the browser.

but no matter what, I couldn't get it to provide the pineapple with internet.

I am using a 3g Hawuia usb modem as my connection source plugged into the HP mini notebook, and also my android tablet as wireless AP connect wirelessly to the HP mini notebook, neither worked.

I had tried to follow the instructions and video by darren, but I just realised the network adapters had no tab for internet sharing, and that is when I realised, Windows 7 starter doesn't support internet sharing.

see msdn doc http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows7/networking-in-windows-7-starter

...............bugger.........

so, does anyone know of a solution.

If not, let this post be a guide for anyone else tearing their hair out using windows 7 starter on small note books

I have switched to my experimental rig running XP, and followed the instructions for setting internet sharing, I can now access the pineapple bar.

peter

Edited by Jasonkblack

One solution would be to use "Client Mode" from the WiFi pineapple web interface. It allows the pineapple to connect to a wireless access point and will automatically give pineapple clients access to the network/internet.

I am unclear of where your Hawuia modem is plugged in based off of the above, but plug it directly into the pineapple and configuring it should allow internet access as well.

Also, its probably good to know that Windows 7 Starter does not have ICS capabilities. I stumbled upon this when I first got my netbook, and as far as i'm aware you can't patch it to give it ICS options.

Run to linux.

Edited by Foxtrot

I was planning to use the notebook with wireshark, as I have all my tools on it, so I will have to rethink my platform options. It is disapointing that windows has done this.

I might try to run virtualbox , as I have mint setup vm that is running my firmware tools.

I have live disc of backtrack 2 and 4 I can try to install, I tried to download kali but got a bad iso image , half the files gone, or my anti v decided to delete them.

Anyway, let it be known that windows 7 starter has no ICS on it, so you can't provide internet thru it.