Client mode disconnects

tigerphace

Hi, I just received my Pineapple, and after it was all set up, I tried connecting it to my wifi network via client mode. It connects, and the red LED is lit, but after a few seconds, it disconnects and the red LED turns off.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? It's running 1.0.4 firmware. Thanks

Maybe the type of encryption your home AP is using? Try turning the security off and see if Client Mode stays connected. Or you could just try to connect to another Open Access Point, get the updates/infusions you need and then try your home AP again.

Maybe the type of encryption your home AP is using? Try turning the security off and see if Client Mode stays connected. Or you could just try to connect to another Open Access Point, get the updates/infusions you need and then try your home AP again.

Are you saying that is not possible to connect the Pineapple in client mode to an AP that uses WPA2 encryption?

That is not what I am saying.... In the past there was a bug in the enryption identification logic for Client Mode that created incorrect settings in the /etc/config/wireless file. He says he's using 1.0.4 so all of that should be fixed, but there are other encryption options such as WPA2 Enterprise that may be an issue. I'm at work and can't get to the openwrt website that lists the supported modes. So I was suggesting for first contact using Client Mode he either uses another router that has an Open network or he changes his home network to Open (temporarily) to do updates. I reccomend installing the WiFi Manager Infusion so that you can have more control over what modes/settings are used for Client Mode on wlan1. The Client Mode tab is more automatic than anything and when it works it works well. But I like to have more control where possible especially when there is a problem.

It must have been that same issue. Tried connecting to, uh, another access point in range and it worked perfectly..

Edited by tigerphace

• 3 weeks later...

After the update, I set the encryption on the router to 'auto' instead of forcing AES, and now the Pineapple will connect. What's weird though is in the 'client mode' connection info, it says "Encryption key: off', so it seems like something's up. It connects though, so I'm happy.