Questions About BSD

Mr_Mischif

First, I'm going to start programming in Linux, and I need to know if the names for functions will still be the same, like using if and fi, or will it be something totally different?

Second, how can I make it so that the machine enters into init 4 by default instead of init 3; or basically how can I make it so that the GUI is enabled by default?

Third, what would be the best version of BSD for someone who's getting into it for the first time?

First, I'm going to start programming in Linux, and I need to know if the names for functions will still be the same, like using if and fi, or will it be something totally different?

not 100% sure what you mean here. If you mean is shell programming in linux going to be different to shell programming in BSD. That just depends on the shell for which you're programming. It's going to be the same if you're using the same shell. For example bash in both Linux and BSD.

If you mean is programming in Linux going to be the same as programming in windows, yes and no. Depends on what language you're using, but basically every programming language that is available on Windows is available on Linux. As an example, you can program in C++ on both Windows and Linux. The basic stuff which is part of the ANSI standard is the same. There are some things, like system calls that are unique to Linux, that are unavailable on Windows. For the most part however it's very much the same

Second, how can I make it so that the machine enters into init 4 by default instead of init 3; or basically how can I make it so that the GUI is enabled by default?

in /etc/inittab there should be a line somewhere of id:3:initdefault:

change the 3 to a 5

Third, what would be the best version of BSD for someone who's getting into it for the first time?

probably PC-BSD. i've read that it's pretty easy to install and get working. It's based on FreeBSD.

I agree with Stingwray. The best way to learn it is to jump in head first. That's why I took Ubuntu off my laptop and replaced it with FreeBSD. Ubuntu is nice, and works great, but where's the config? Where's the part where I get all pissed off, cuss till I'm blue in the face, read countless forums, FAQ's, and how to's on configuring my pcmcia and wireless adapter, then go back and do it all again for the wpa_supplicant. That's where the learning is, and isn't that why we are the way we are, we like to learn?

OK, I've taken the plunge and installed FreeBSD, and I have no idea what to do now. I want to get a GUI started, but there is no /etc/inittab file that I found, I would have started one. there is a /etc/rc.conf file, and I'm wondering if I should put it there. Also, su doesn't work under my non-root account, and how do I put my username in the sudoers file? Finally, does FreeBSD have its own bootloader? I didn't see one when I installed it.

ive been meaning to expirement with BSD. I started duel booting mandriva/windows a few months ago and have acclimated myself to linux. it would be nice to replace windows with BSD... I dont play games so not much need for windows. :D

ive been meaning to expirement with BSD. I started duel booting mandriva/windows a few months ago and have acclimated myself to linux. it would be nice to replace windows with BSD... I dont play games so not much need for windows. :D

and if there is any need for windows, you can probably just VM it ;)

I love Linux/BSD/Unix for servers and computer security related things but I don’t use it for my desktop, as I find I get more work done in Windows and I like the software for it more.

With Putty, Winscp and FileZilla, I have no need to ever have a monitor, keyboard or mouse hooked to my Linux/BSD boxes, except for when I installed OpenBSD on my file server and Debian on my web/mail server.

I dual boot between Debian and Windows on my laptop but I still spend most of my time in Windows and just SSH into my Linux or BSD boxes when I need a particular tool.

Software I need:

Vegas 7.0 (I work pastime as an editor/ camera man at weddings)

DVD Architect 4.0

SONAR 6 Producer Edition

Microsoft Visual Studio

Borland C++Builder

Adobe Photoshop CS2

Adobe Illustrator CS2

MS Visio

MS Word

MS PowerPoint

MS Excel

Dreamweaver

I know there are similar products for *NIX, but I don’t feel they are as good, and the price isn’t a huge issue as I get student discount.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I don't play games.