noob questions

yabasoya

I haven't received my Mk V yet, but it is due to arrive soon.

1. I live in Bolivia and wanted to know the maximum db for each wireless card without this melting. I googled and found 27 for one and 30 for the other but I am not positive.

2. I thought that I read somewhere that these antennas are listed as 6db antennas, for the most part is this accurate? Alfa panel antennas are 7db and I wasn't even going to bother for a 1 db gain.

3. Can the pineapple run both antennas and an alfa usb wifi all at 5V-2A? I saw a video that said the pineapple was more stable at 12V and wanted to know what type of problems I may run into at 5V.

4. I am going on a cruise soon and I am interested in a setup where wlan0 is connected to a wifi, wlan1 is deauthing the wifi except for my mac (airdrop-ng) and the alfa wlan2 is accepting connections from the cows. When we pull into port, there is a mad rush for the nearby hotspots because people go through withdrawal. I plan to leave this on my balcony and come back after a day at the beach. Is there a better way to do this?

5. Maybe a dumb question because I haven't played with it yet. As an example, I setup a dip switch to auto run Jasager, it boots up and connects to a public wifi on channel 6. There are hundreds in my area with the same ssid provided by my cable company. Will it automatically choose 1 or 11 for the other antenna? All the public wifis are on 1, 6, 11 and could be any of these depending on the area.

I know this is a lot of topics but I just wanted to get all the questions out in one shot.

A recommendation for #4.

wlan0 for your "cows"

wlan1 for connection to an AP

wlan2 (alpha) for deauthing

Hey, thanks for this... I was just about to post this question, because each time I do Jammer or some other wifi function, I either get the internet disconnected, or my computer/tablet that I am doing admin with gets disconnected.

Would you say that the best way to admin is not from wifi, but through the ethernet (not always the most casual in public settings)? Or, hmmm... I haven't checked this yet, but can I connect to the same AP as the client/wan side, and then admin from that side?

I thought that I read somewhere that these antennas are listed as 6db antennas, for the most part is this accurate? Alfa panel antennas are 7db and I wasn't even going to bother for a 1 db gain.

Hey Yaba... Be very meticulous in your Antenna ordering. I got schooled because I had my two Alfa 9dbi antennas hooked up to my Pineapple, and came to find out, they were doing nothing!

The Alfa antennas have a Female R-SMA connection. This will not actual achieve contact with the antenna connector on the Pineapple.

You need Male SMA Connectors!

I am currently looking at something like this YAGI: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280785157784

The only thing I don't like is, it seems a bit unwieldy, but the 13dbi is appetizing...

Edited by UltimatePeter

You can connect from the client side as well. You just need to look first at your pineapple and see what IP address the client assigned to it. For example. If your pineapple client mode wlan1 connects to an AP and gets 192.168.0.11 and the you connect to the same AP with your laptop you just point your browser at 192.168.0.11:1471.

And technically your Alfas have male rp-sma connectors. I believe the male vs female description relates to the outer connector with the spinning hood ring (male) connecting to the simply threaded (female) part. At least that's what I see. And the male/female is not related to the pin in the center and whether or not it is the pin or receives the pin. Make sense?

Edited by thesugarat

1. Seems that the default CRDA is limited to the US configuration ; UPDATE: I have successfully used iw reg set XX to change the settings for wlan1 :) but not wlan0 :(

2. Though they were 5dB, unless someone can correct me from the Design-Build-Production Team.

3. Appears stable to me on the two internal antennas at 5v, but I admit I haven't tried powering a 3rd USB alpha.

4. Is answered above.

5. Nowadays, AP's seem to auto-select a channel (default iwconfig configuration), but this can be manual set (iwconfig <interface> channel <x>)

Edited by midnitesnake

Techasist,

I have not actually tested it. My recommendation was a correction to the normal functions of the pineapple with the addition of a wlan2 used to deauth. I can try to test it if that would help.

I am currently looking at something like this YAGI: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280785157784

The only thing I don't like is, it seems a bit unwieldy, but the 13dbi is appetizing...

I just bought this

http://www.amazon.com/Browning-2-4-GHz-Enclosed-Cellular/dp/B003YL5WJG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384042553&sr=8-1&keywords=yagi

and have been using it with airodump-ng and aireplay-ng and seems to be much more sensitive than my 5db stock antennas. I don't know if I would say that I got 10 more than my 5 that I already have, but almost there.

I also fount that I needed to rotate from horizontal to vertical or somewhere in between until my beacons came in at a steady stream. I mounted it on a tripod to help hold it.

2. Though they were 5dB, unless someone can correct me from the Design-Build-Production Team.

I attached a screen shot of the manual which says that they are 6db antennas. They still look like 5's to me but I don't have them in my hand yet.

post-45643-0-02453800-1384043019_thumb.p

Edited by yabasoya

Techasist,

I have not actually tested it. My recommendation was a correction to the normal functions of the pineapple with the addition of a wlan2 used to deauth. I can try to test it if that would help.

This is how I do it when I need both inboard radios, it works well. A pain having an external Alfa sometimes but it gets the job done nicely.